Saturday, January 07, 2006

Go Canucks, Go!


I grew up in a household that loved sports. Whether it was playing them, attending sporting events, or watching the big games on television we loved sports! Every Sunday afternoon during football season we would rush home after church and immediately switch on the television to watch whatever game happened to be on television. My dad's love for the Indianapolis Colts rubbed off on me at a very young age, and I began to cheer for the team before they were even close to being what they are now! In fact, I have an old Jim Harbaugh jersey that I often wear as pajamas now, for it has been replaced a few years ago with my Peyton Manning jersey.


I played many different sports in high school, with volleyball being the one I was the most passionate about. I attended hundreds of football, basketball and baseball games throughout my years in Newell, but I can honestly say I never once attended a hockey game. I remember from time to time a hockey game would be on TV, and my dad, being the total sports nut that he is, would pause on it for a bit, just to see what was happening. Those were the moments that I chose to get up, leave the room, and do something that seemed more exciting...like watching paint dry. I just didn't understand the appeal of hockey. It seemed as though there were no real plays. It was just a bunch of guys skating back and forth on the ice, and half of the time I couldn't even see the puck!

When I went to university, our school had a club team. I fondly remember attending a few hockey games while there. I think the main reason we went to those games was not to watch the players, but to watch the rowdy crowd. It was a random group of people. Many were extremely inebriated, choosing to shout expletives at the ice at the most inopportune moments. Attending these games in no way made me gain a greater understanding and appreciation for the game of hockey.

The summer between my junior and senior years of university I went off to the land of China. There I met this Canadian boy. At the time, I had no idea that I would later spend countless hours watching him play hockey on Saturday nights from September to March, all I remember from the time was seeing this guy, walking in front of me hefting a HUGE hockey bag. The rest of us had brought along neat and tidy suitcases, but he chose to pack his things in a hockey bag. I should have known from the start...that little sign should have told me something!

I'm now married to that hockey player, and living in the land of hockey. We are the home to the official Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe. Is it sad that I now know little facts such as Wayne Gretzky's number: 99, the final score of Canada's World Junior team gold medal game: 5-0, over the Russians, or the names and numbers of the Canucks power line: Todd Bertuzzi-44, Markus Naslund-19 and Brendan Morrison-7? I don't think that it is. Surprising, maybe, but not sad.

Surprise of all surprises, I have grown to love this game called hockey. After a few rounds of floor hockey in the basement of Kevin's parents' home, I can see how difficult it would be to get that puck past that big goalie. I know that I am not much of an ice skater, and I appreciate the skill it takes for those guys to go out there and rush around as though they are in runners, not on skates.

One of the things that I love the most about hockey in Canada, though, is the sense of community that it creates. Hockey has allowed me to make friendships that I might not have had otherwise. Every Saturday night, Kevin and I can be found at the Langley Sportsplex. I sit on the bleachers, bundled in my blankets with a mug of hot chocolate or tea and chat with the other wives and girlfriends. One girl in particular, Michelle, has become a close friend. If it weren't for hockey, we might have never had the pleasure of knowing one another. I enjoy Saturday nights. I love watching Kevin out there on the ice, working with the friends that he has known for years to create opportunities for scoring. I love it when our friends come to watch him play. My friend Nancy once brought a young boy that she cares for, Jonathon, to a game. Jonathon is one of the sweetest little boys I have ever known. There is one thing that we have learned about him, and that is that he loves sports. The night that he came to Kevin's hockey game was a highlight in all of the games I have been to. It was so great to watch his face light up and to hear his sweet voice yelling, "Go Kevin! Go Kevin!" After the game, you would have thought he was in heaven when he had the chance to have his picture taken with Kev and his friend, Cam. (See above left)

So, although I never imagined myself loving the sport...hockey has become a way of life for this American girl in Canada. I even have my own Canucks team jersey now, and I am voluntarily watching a Canuck's game even as I type this blog. In just an hour, we will be off to the rink for another game...and I can't wait. I love this game!

Some photos I took of the Canucks at a game we attended...yep, we really were that close to Bertuzzi!

2 comments:

  1. Stacy,
    Seeing these pictures really makes me think of ribbons...especially wood-paneled ribbons. CKAMV ribbons...I think this wonderful club was born at a hockey game, correct? ;) Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct, my dear friend! Ahh...the good old days of the CKAMV! What was I, dual role of secretary/treasurer, or was that Beth's job? I can't remember!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers