Thank God for wetsuits, that's all I have to say!
Yesterday I left home at 6:15 a.m., yes, that's right folks, 6:15 a.m. to get to the school by 7. I was embarking on a grand adventure with 175 grade 12 students. Not only that, I actually volunteered for it. Many people would probably call me "loca" but I thought it would be fun. I was right!
Our school took the entire grade 12 class to Lytton for some whitewater rafting yesterday. Normally, this would be a grand idea. We, however, embarked upon this trip under gray skies that seemed to be threatening rain at any moment. As I rode along in the bus inhaling my Tim Horton's and trying to keep my eyelids propped open I told myself that it would be sunny. It had to be, we were going to be on rafts cruising down the FREEZING cold Thompson River.
I brought along my change of clothes, just like the instructions said. I also made sure not to wear 100% cotton because I didn't want to be the one that got hypothermia but I really had no idea what to expect. I've never gone river rafting before. I know that seems crazy, since I'm one of those weird people that likes things like sky-diving and all that, but somehow river rafting has just never fit into the picture until now.
On the two hour drive the three other chaperones and I tried to ignore the way the bus was swerving back and forth on the road by chatting about work, our lovely students, and just life in general. I found it particularly difficult to keep my laughter inside the time that our driver turned around to ask us a question and the bus began careening toward the rock that lined both sides of the road. We thought for sure we would die before we even got into the rafts!
We were finally there and it was time to decide...paddle or power? Since it was my first time I knew that I had to get the experience of paddling down the river. Kristen, Serenity and I, the three female chaperones, all decided to go together and before we knew it we were donning our swimsuits and then wetsuits and piling onto the bus with the kids. Once we arrived at our drop off point we donned even more attractive gear: a lovely blue rain jacket and even lovelier blue helmets. It was quite hilarious walking down the hill behind the group of students all dressed in their wet gear. I only wished I had a camera.
After the terrifying pre-boarding instructions from the guide we were ready to go. Into the rafts we went. The three of us found room on a boat with some of our kids and we were off. We became team "Aquamarine." Apparently the students had been watching a movie about a mermaid on the way up and it was called the above title. I can't say that I've ever heard of it. Nevermind, Team Aquamarine it is! Our guide gave us paddling instructions and after a bit of practice we were ready to face our first set of rapids.
Here's a question for you...why is it that the name of each set of rapids seems to have something to do with death or the devil? We went through "The Jaws of Death," "The Devil's Kitchen," "The Cutting Board," and many other lovely pools. Why can't they just name them fun and delightful names like "Spring Sunshine," or "Cotton Candy?"
Once we hit that first big wave we were soaked...and screaming in joy. What an experience! Paddle, paddle, paddle...DIG IN! Keep paddling! We twisted and turned our way down the river. I have to say, our team was pretty darn good. We even managed to pass the boat of all boys. Pish...who needs manpower when you have a bunch of capable women? Well, I guess there were three guys on our boat but still!
At one point our guide told us it was okay to go swimming if we wanted to. I'm one of those people that doesn't like to look back and regret not doing something, so I was game. I hopped off the boat and into the water and...whoosh out went all of my breath! It was COLD! I tried to laugh and look like it was great though, because I wanted Kristen to jump in too. Serenity and I told her how warm the water was and soon she was in as well. Honestly, it wasn't that bad! The water actually felt warmer than the air outside, but that's probably because the breeze was coming off of the mountains WHICH HAD SNOW ON THEM!!!! What were we thinking!? Oh yeah, it was fun!
Getting back into the boat, now that's a different story. There is no possible way to climb back into a rafting boat while looking dignified. I never thought, when I first taught little Ivan in grade 9 English, that he would one day be hauling me back into a river raft but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do! None of us looked graceful so I guess we were all in the same boat-literally, ha ha! I crack myself up.
The second time we had the chance to swim I decided against it. I didn't want poor Ivan to have to haul me back up into the boat again. We three prim and proper teachers decided to stay in the boat. Our guide tried to push us in under the guise of handing us a paddle but we were too tough. We floated along enjoying the waters when suddenly my fellow teacher and so-called friend Chuck came up from behind and pulled me into the water! Brrr! It wasn't quite so warm the second time around!
By the time we got to the end of the trip I was delirious with the enjoyment of it but also with the cold! My hands were stuck in the position of holding the paddle for about ten minutes. I'm not even kidding! I couldn't get my life jacket undone because my fingers just wouldn't work. I wasn't the only one. We were quite the group trying to walk up the hill on feet we couldn't feel. I couldn't wait to get on that 1983 bus and chug back up to the campsite!
With all of my complaining about the cold you're probably wondering, "Would she do it again?" Heck yeah! It was an amazing experience. One more check mark ticked off of my lifetime to do list. The super warm 90 person hot tub waiting back at the camp didn't hurt either! It's easy to forget how cold you were once you jump in there. Although the pricking pins and needles feeling in my hands reminded me of how cold I had been for about the first 15 minutes I sat in it!
What an experience. Working at this school has truly provided me with so many amazing opportunities. The best part of the day was just sitting around the campfire talking to some of my students about life, their summer, and their fears of the coming year. We have great kids at our school. They give me so much hope for the future!
Although I was sore beyond belief today-a bit of a disappointment, I thought I was so in shape now-and I moved through the day like a zombie due to lack of sleep I can without a doubt say that I would go again, and again and again. My co-worker said it right yesterday when he said "We have the best jobs in the world!"
Go Team Aquamarine!
Friday, September 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago
I remember going white water rafting for the first time in the eighth grade and loving it! Then, of course, we cruised down the Apple River in WI in college and that was an adventure like no other...too much fun! I think the best part of your story is the part where you couldn't wait to get back on your "1983" bus....too funny! Good times.
ReplyDeleteYou DO have a pretty cushy teaching job! I've always wanted to go whitewater rafting, but never really had the chance.
ReplyDelete