We went to bed around 10:30 or so. We both thought that we were tired...but maybe we weren't. After devotions and prayer together, we both said our goodnights and rolled over to drift off into the blissful land of slumber.
About an hour later, I was still waiting to enter that land. I thought Kevin was sleeping, but he wasn't doing that deep breathing thing that I normally hear when he is sleeping. All of the sudden, he was asking me if he was snoring. I said no, and he rolled back over.
And I laid there. For another hour. Thinking about how much I desperately wanted to be asleep. I was just drifting off when Kevin suddenly got up and declared he was going into the other room. I wasn't really sure what that was all about, but I was finally in the land of groggy, so I didn't really care. He informed me today that he thought he was snoring and didn't want to keep me up. He wasn't. However, when he left it became a different story.
Now, let me just say here that I adore our landlords. They are really sweet, caring, amazing Godly people. They are just about the nicest people you could ever meet. Lately, however, one of them has started snoring. How do I know this, you ask? Because I can hear it, through our floorboards. I have tried ear plugs, they don't work. I try ear plugs in conjunction with a pillow over my head and that doesn't help either! Now, I'm not sure that it is even that loud, I know that I have really sensitive hearing, especially at night. I can hear the craziest, quietest sounds. Since I am an extremely light sleeper, not only can I hear these sounds, but it also does not take long for them to drive me up the wall.
After Kevin left last night, I was awake just enough that my subconscious picked up on a noise. A "zzzZZZZZZzzzzz" sort of noise. Over and over, in a rhythmic pattern. I put my pillow over my head and actually said out loud, "Please God, make it stop!" Then I jumped out of bed. That was it! I was not going to be kept awake another night!
Keep in mind, by this time it is after 1 a.m. I have to get up around 6:15 to get ready for school. My mother had given us an oscillating fan for Christmas, because ours was broken. We used to have our old one on every night for the white noise factor, but since returning home after Christmas we had yet to use the other fan. I had thought about setting it up many other times, at more sane hours. Did I do it though? Of course not!
So, here I was at 1:15 a.m., ripping at the box to get the fan out. That's when I discovered that the fan was still in pieces. It was in about five pieces to be exact. I was getting desperate so I ripped the plastic off of the various parts and tried to put it together as quickly as possible. In my haste, I was snapping the stand into the base and caught my finger. YOUCH! Next thing I knew, a lovely little blood blister was forming on my middle finger, right on the pad. That was going to be fun! 

Finally, at around 1:30, I had the fan together, plugged in, turned on and I was back in bed under my big, cozy down duvet. I rolled onto my side, took a deep breath, and sighed in relief...I couldn't hear the snoring!! My throbbing finger might be about to keep me up but I had defeated the noise gods! Huzzah!
I groggily arose a few hours later after a night of waking and falling back to sleep. This morning in devotions I shared my restless night with my kids and two of my girls actually prayed that I would get more sleep tonight, amidst their laughter! Here's to hoping for a full night's sleep!
Hmmm, considering your not-so-often posts lately, is it fair to assume that you're in the middle of report card season?
ReplyDelete:)
That post makes me afraid that my neighbors can hear Lucy at night when I let her out to tinkle...she sometimes barks (well she always barks) and I'm always afraid that I'm keeping someone up! Uh oh!
ReplyDeleteHey Stacy! Thanks for commenting on my blog. My website shows me lots of people read my blog- but apparently nobody really comments. :)
ReplyDeleteI've tried to comment on yours but lately that 'visual verification' button wasn't working for some reason.
Anyways, have a great, RELAXING spring break! I hope you can sleep through the night without being disturbed. :) Your landlord must snore pretty loud. Reminds me of a time when we went camping and we heard a man snore really loud all night (even though his tent was super far away). I'm not sure how a spouse handles that!? Big wads of cotton I guess. :)