Saturday, October 20, 2007

Oh, now I remember!

Lately I have been asking myself why I volunteered to help coach junior girls volleyball again this year. I took last year off, and I loved having that time back to myself. Then, for some reason, I jumped right back into it this year.

Don't get me wrong, I love coaching. There is something about it...I think I was made to do it-and many other things, but coaching is definitely something that normally brings me great joys. I love the sport of volleyball. I appreciate the fact that coaching gives me an opportunity to impact my students in a way that teaching may not. I love seeing the players' skills develop and knowing that I had some small part in that.

But this year? Some of the joy had been robbed right out of it. I was finding myself dreading planning practice, not having the energy or time. I think it was the fact that I was trying to do too many things at once.

Today, I remembered. I remembered why I do this! It's the smiles on the girls faces when they make a great play. It's seeing those friendships develop between them as they work together to achieve a common goal. It's seeing them doing something that I told them to do a few minutes before in a time out and seeing it WORK. It's the sense of pride they feel in knowing that they worked hard and beat that team that they thought they couldn't beat. It's hearing their screams of joy at winning that game, and seeing the hugs that they give each other after a great play. It's' hearing them pray for their teammates. It's seeing them showing kindness to players on other teams. It's watching them hit that sweet shot that seems to leave a dent in the floor and then looking to me afterward to see my smile of approval. It's seeing how my words, my simple, simple words, can make them play better. It's seeing them gather around that girl that is crying and making her laugh and go out and get a killer spike right afterward. It's talking with my girls about fruit on the bench just to create noise so the dead silence in the gym doesn't freak out their fellow teammate when she is serving.

I remembered...it's about the kids. Thanks, ladies, for reminding me of this...it was a great tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers