Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Quinoa (KEEN-wa)

Mmmm!  We tried quinoa for the first time tonight and it was delicious!  I held a bit of trepidation as I prepared it.  I had bought a big, bulk bag of it the last time I was at Costco...hoping I might use it up, but not really believing that I would.  I've been hearing about quinoa for quite awhile and wanting to try it, but just wasn't sure.

It's pronounced KEEN-wa, and it's tasty!  It was so incredibly easy to make.  You just have to put in two parts water to one part quinoa, bring it to a boil, put it on low and cook for fifteen minutes.  When the fifteen minutes are up, you fluff it and serve!

Quinoa is so healthy.  It's even better than brown rice, and can be used in so many different ways.  Tonight I boiled it in organic chicken broth and added some mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes that I had sauteed.  MMMM!  The shocking part?  Even Rusty loved it!  I gave him his spoon and he ate it, without wrinkling his nose even a little!  That is not normal for my son, usually he is quite hesitant to try something the first time!  He's not a picky eater, but convincing him to try that new food the first time can be, well, a trial.  We'll just call it that.  I was thrilled to see him open wide and put in the healthy, protein and fiber rich grain.

Kev can be the tough sell on some new recipes.  He's not picky either, but likes his basics.  As he chewed it I could see a thoughtful look on his face, and then he said, "It's good.  I would eat it again."  That is the seal of approval from my man!  I was thrilled, because it wasn't very expensive, can be used in a more versatile manner than rice, and is healthier.  

Tomorrow I'm going to try making it for Rusty and I as cereal.  Yep, it can be served as oatmeal!  You can sprinkle on some cinnamon or fruit to sweeten it up, but it has a nutty taste and a yummy texture to it.  Rusty is REALLY into raisins lately, so I'm going to make a batch, throw on some raisins, mix in some milk and cinnamon and voila!  A healthy, filling, tasty breakfast!  I'll let you know how it goes.

Quinoa...I read up tonight that it is a healthy food that you can eat every single day!  Sweet!  Next up on my list of healthy foods to try?  Agave syrup in place of sugar.  THAT should be interesting!

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I'm definitely going to try Agave syrup in place of white sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We bought a bag of Quinoa at Costco too! I haven't prepared it yet but am hoping my 20 month old will like it. My husband's parents are from the Philippines and he grew up eating rice with EVERYTHING and I mean everything. Even with spaghetti! I've been trying to convert them to brown rice and tried quinoa at a restaurant. When I saw it I had to buy it. Your recipe sounds yummy!

    PS I'm an American Girl in Canada too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also been hearing about Quinoa for a while and wanted to try it. A few girls I work with bring it for lunch and say it's great. You have inspired me to buy it. They have it bulk at Thrifty's and I might just buy it next time I am there. And I love agave. It comes highly recommended from this family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally getting caught up on your blog! Great posts. I love the little newborn and Caden's hat...adorable!! J doesn't keep her cap on for too long.
    Awesome that you tried quinoa! You should check out your local library for Dreena Burton's books. They are vegan, but of course you could always adapt them (add a meat side or use cheese). She's got some quinoa ideas and great muffins and cookies that have no refined sugar. She often uses agave nectar or maple syrup. I admitt that the desserts aren't as good as something packed with sugar, but they are great for our little ones and something we can enjoy on a more regular basis. Jorja's 1st birthday 'pudding' was avacado, banana and cocoa sweetened with agave nectar. Of course it's a little harder for me to break my sugar addiction;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, N's mom bought me agave when she went to the States last time. I liked it. It's a lot sweeter, so you have to use less... But in something like coffee you do definitely notice a taste.
    Jess uses it all the time. She really likes it.
    It is also a LOT cheaper in the states than here.
    Close to Mexico? I dunno. It's from a cactus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've used Agave nectar for a long time now and like it. It's said to be a more powerful sweetener than sugar, but because it doesn't give the same "sugary" taste, sometimes it's hard to believe. But it works and is healthier!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers