As I have grown older, a few things have sealed my favorite season fate. I became a school teacher, thus ensuring that every summer would continue to be that "break" from school that I had grown used to all of my life. I married a fellow teacher, providing two full months of vacation together every year. We bought a summer cabin, the very word "Summer" showing exactly when that amazing place would be used, and, most importantly, we had a sweet baby boy. Kids and summer go together like milk and cookies, they just work!
Summer, in my opinion, is the best of the four seasons. While the other three certainly have their merit, in my life summer is when all of the good comes together and it is day after day of bliss. This summer is shaping up to be one of the best yet! Rusty seems to be at the perfect age to really enjoy all that summer has to offer. We have entered into the world of home ownership and have a backyard that is going to be our own personal summer playground, and the weather has finally taken a turn for the sunnier! Is that a good way to say it? The sunnier? I don't care, it has!
Rusty and I could not ignore the gorgeous weather that may, just might, be here to stay this week. We hit the playground and park while some work was being done in our own yard...a backyard fence! I have been waiting for that fence to go in. I absolutely love our backyard, it was one of the biggest selling points for us, but it has been difficult to really relax and enjoy it with the super fast little monkey we have! He likes to bolt for the front yard, which means the street. While our neighborhood is really quiet, I just knew I would feel safer if we fenced the backyard in and could just relax and chill out there. Kev's dad found someone to build the fence for us and it is GORGEOUS and FANTASTIC and all of the things I knew it would be. It is relaxing, peaceful...can all of those things describe a fence? Why yes, yes indeed! It is beautiful, sweet-smelling cedar all lined up and completely capable of trapping Rusty in our big, shady backyard.
I didn't want to be in the way of the man building the fence for us, so we took off and Rusty loved playing soccer, playing on the playground, climbing steps, and just running around the big field. Being outside all day long is one of the best parts of summer. Even with the loads of sunscreen I lather on him morning and afternoon Rusty is already getting that little bit of brown on his neck, showing where his cute t-shirt for the day has been. I wonder, will he have freckles some day like his daddy? I have always loved Kev's freckles, so I really hope so!
Another thing we have enjoyed these past few days are all of the free toys we are acquiring! Our neighbors across the street are moving and purged their kids toys. Rusty inherited a free scooter, tricycle, toddler basketball hoop, elmo camp chair, lacrosse set, and toddler mower! It's crazy and he is having so much fun. Our backyard has finally become the summer paradise we were hoping for! The fence was completed today and Rusty and Daddy spent a nice, long time playing around. Kev enjoyed the combination of lounging on the grass and playing with Rusty, and Rusty...well he just enjoyed being able to run around!
Summer Loves:
- Barefeet in the crisp, cool grass
- The sun warming my back
- Lemonade
- Fruity freezy pops
- New pedicures showed off in flip flops
- Blonde highlights from the kiss of the sun
- Relaxing on the deck at the cottage
- Lazing in the sun reading a book
- Impromptu family day trips
- BBQs baby!
- The daylight lasting waaayyyyyy into the night
- Mariners' games in the afternoon sun
- Lazy mornings at home with nowhere to go
- Icy sun tea
- Drippy, creamy ice cream cones
- Summer movie blockbusters-escape in the cool theater with candy and popcorn!
- Shorts, t-shirts and tank tops
- Little boys covered in sand
- Trips to South Dakota baby!
- Walks through wooded paths in the cooling evening light
- Feeling the sand between my toes
- The sounds of laughter from neighborhood children floating through the open window




I love Fall! I love the cool weather, the colors, and the holidays! And while I really don't like heat, I do love being off for the summer and spending that time with my family. Your first picture is really great!
ReplyDeleteLooks good! We will have to drive by and see it for real. I do think you might have jinxed us with the weather comment though... still waiting for the sun.
ReplyDelete