When I was a child I had this amazing, totally cool chair. It was a Big Bird chair. When you sat down, it was basically like you were sitting in Big Bird's lap. I'm not sure why, but I REALLY loved that chair. I even continued to sit in it as I got older, and it was just always there. Life moved on, and next thing I knew I was in middle school or maybe high school, the details are fuzzy. All I know is that one weekend I went away to a volleyball tournament and came home and my chair was gone.
My mom had hosted visitors that day. They had a little girl, and she really liked sitting in the Big Bird chair. My mom just nonchalantly said, "Oh just take it! My kids never use it anymore." And with that, the Big Bird chair was gone. Well, my mom had no idea how much I LOVED that chair. I came home to discover it was gone, and was so upset. I don't know why I was so attached to it, but I remembered that chair and never forgot how it just sort of disappeared one day.
In fact, I loved that chair so much that I was just telling one of my friends about it about a month ago, lamenting the loss of the uber cool Big Bird chair. I thought of how great it would be to have that chair for Rusty and Rocky to sit on, and how I so very much loved it.
Enter my mom and the wonderful world of the Internet. Whatever did we do before the Internet?! This week when my parents picked me up my mom said she had a surprise for me. She said it was something I had wanted for years and it was too big to fit into my suitcase. I couldn't even begin to think of what it was. We walked in the door that night and there it was...my Big Bird Chair!
My mom said that the look on my face made her search and hard work totally worth it. She had decided to find that chair. She scoured Ebay until she found a set, not just Big Bird but Cookie Monster too! She bought the pair, and then when she got them they were totally sun faded. She bought some kid friendly paint and lovingly restored them and there they were. I actually almost started crying, I couldn't believe it. She had returned my beloved Big Bird to me. They are going to bring Big Bird and his friend Cookie Monster when they drive up here in July and I can't WAIT for Rusty to sit on them and use them. I think they will look totally amazing in our kid corner of our family room and trust me...I will NEVER be giving them away! Big Bird has returned!!
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago

Yep, worth every penny. Is this what they call redemption???
ReplyDeleteLove You.
Mom
And thats why we love your mom. You have a special mother!!!
ReplyDeleteEmily Miller
Awesome chair!! I've never seen these before!
ReplyDeleteAaack, that is such an awesome story! I would have been just as sad to find out the chair was gone AND I would have cried upon its return!
ReplyDeleteThese rock!!!! I think your mom gave Ike and I a Garfield set too when we were little...we wore those out until they broke!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is amazing! I have the exact same story, no joke. I loved that chair and kept it longer than you would expect. I used to sit on it while playing nintendo. The only difference is that my mom gave it to the Salvation Army. My mother recently told me she has been trying to find that chair for years. So I googled "Big Bird Chair" and I got your blog. If you come across another one, fire me an e-mail brandog42yahoo.com. I would love to see my mom's face.
ReplyDelete