He has done this often in my life. There are little things that He fulfills for me, and once they have been fulfilled I realize that they were always kind of there, I just wasn't that aware of it. Today reminded me of one of those.
Rocky and I decided to get out and enjoy the gorgeous fall weather we were having. We live super close-like a less than five minute walk-to a gorgeous and huge natural reserve. It is just this huge chunk of forest that the city preserved as a network of trails and parks within the middle of town. One of our friends, who is a former Olympic runner that has literally run all over the world, says that it is her favorite place to run in the whole world. It is definitely one of my favorite places to be as well. In just moments I can feel as though I am in the middle of nowhere...bliss!
What makes me say that living near this fulfills a desire I never knew that I had is this. When I was in between my freshman and sophomore years of university I traveled to Germany. I spent an entire summer there teaching Bible clubs on the various military bases. In some places we stayed with families off base, within these beautiful, quaint and almost fairy-tale like little villages. I remember one in particular. It was near a forest much like the one that I live near and I was amazed. Being a farm girl from a rural area I had never really seen anything like that. It amazed me that we could be in town, and then suddenly be in the middle of this amazing forest right in the middle of town. It was the first time I ever saw a slug creeping across a forest path and it was the first time I had seen that kind of greenery. The Black Hills are beautiful forests, but they are a bit different. I remember, vaguely, thinking of how amazing it would be to live somewhere like that. I remember my 19 year old brain saying, "Hmmm...I wish that I could live someplace like this some day." And that was probably it. Being from South Dakota, I probably dismissed that thought as something that would never happen....fast forward to today.
I live in a mountain town near the ocean. Seriously? I get to live near the mountains AND the ocean? I have a huge forest reserve with gorgeous trails just five minutes from my house. I get to walk on those paths any time I want. See what I mean? Desires of the heart that I didn't even know where there! I can only smile, thank God, and enjoy it.
"Trust in the Lord and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Take delight in the Lord,
and He will give you the desires of your heart."
Psalm 37:3-4





No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!