Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Nesting...already?

I have to be honest.  I have heard about this nesting instinct when you are pregnant.  I have wondered about it...I honestly don't think I ever really experienced it.  Maybe to the extent that I wanted to get the boys' rooms ready for them before they were born, but other than that?  Not so much.

This time has been different.  I find myself constantly wanting to clean up and organize different areas of our home, of my life, and even my desk at school.  (Which isn't an easy task when your room is shared by three different teachers! Although I must say the two male teachers I share with do a good job of respecting my space.)  It has been strange to me to experience this nesting instinct.  In general I am a pretty clean and neat person, but this is going to a different level.  I'm also finding myself frustrated when I don't have the energy to complete the tasks that I want to do.

Lately I have:

  • Helped Kevin clean up and organize our backyard.  We had a new deck built this summer and the awesome contractor that built it for us had to leave for Calgary to do work in the winter months, leaving us with boards, dirt piles, and tools scattered around the yard.  He will hopefully be coming back in the fall to pour the concrete pad under the deck and he did an amazing job for us so we weren't upset, just knew we needed to get things cleaned up to make space that was safe for the boys.  This Saturday I was out there with Kev hauling boards around, helping the boys pick up rocks from the dirt piles so Kev can plant grass seed, and reorganizing the tools.  It was fun to see the end result and know that the boys were now safe and sound in the backyard again.
  • Started the massive task of sorting through all of our baby boy clothes.  I literally have about 12 bins of baby boy clothes from age 0-5 on a shelf in the basement.  We have been storing them for the last five years wondering if we would need them again and now...we don't.  So I am sorting them out!  I have several friends due with babies soon, which COULD be boys, so I have been going through the bins and taking out the super cute boy outfits and setting them aside just in case.  The rest I am folding and reorganizing and posting for sale on sites I am a part of on Facebook.  This involves counting the items, taking pics, posting them, etc.  Last night I worked for two hours on the 0-12 month bins.  They are finally sorted and reorganized and ready to post.  I feel good about going through the items and clearing out those sections of the basement.  
  • Sorted through all of my non-maternity clothes that were not working and put them in a bin and stored them.  We don't have a ton of closet space and I was getting frustrated just trying to find the clothes.  I stored them until the fall when hopefully it won't take long to get back into them!  
What I still want to do is:
  • Reorganize our hallway closet which has our medicines, our lotions, our soaps, etc stored in it. It has gotten a bit messy and disorganized.  I think I can make better use of the space.
  • Gut Rusty's room and look at options for storage and organization.  We will be buying bunk beds and moving Rocky in there in August, so I have to start thinking about fitting the two boys into one room and maximizing the space available.  
  • Reorganize our coat closet.  It seems I have to do this every spring and fall.  It just gets all cluttered up and filled with things that don't belong there.
There are so many more projects I could do...I wish my friend Julie was here to help.  She is so good at organization and staying motivated.  Last summer there was a day where I committed just to cleaning and organizing and I texted her pics as I went.  It was a very successful day.  She will be coming to help with baby in November...maybe I can rope her into some projects then!

What were some of your "nesting" projects when you were pregnant?

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Stacy! The picture is fabulous and you write so well :-) Thank you for sharing ... I had hoped to clean my medicine cabinet yesterday and it never happened ... :-( Will add it to my list again! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers