I think it will be great to have dual citizenship! Only because I am living in Canada am I allowed to have this. If Kevin had moved to the States, we would not be allowed such a luxury. The way it works in the US is that they want you to have just ONE citizenship...therefore if Kev wanted to be a US citizen he would have to give up his Canadian citizenship. That's a tough thought...I don't think I could give up my US citizenship, it's such a part of me and my identity! Thankfully, Canada will allow me to keep it and be Canadian as well.
UPDATE!!! What a great world we live in! Through the land of blogging, I have "met" a friend of Nicole's. She is a British citizen that has lived in America and now lives in Germany. She said that you ARE allowed to keep your former citizenship and still get US citizenship. The US will only recognize one, but you don't have to give the other up. It's nice to know that there is that option. Thanks CALIVALLEYGIRL!!! You seem full of great knowledge from mascara to politics!
Thinking about this, I stumbled across this test on the Internet. I decided to see if I would even PASS the US Citizenship test if I had to take it. Luckily, I did! I guess I deserve to be both American and Canadian. See if you can pass it!
| You Passed the US Citizenship Test |
![]() Congratulations - you got 7 out of 10 correct! |

9 out of 10, baby! Thanks for the link ;)
ReplyDelete8 out of 10! And I have yet to actually pass the US Citizenship test...one day I will take it. I just have a greencard for the moment, but have had it since I was age 2 weeks. However, I will sill keep my British citizenship when I become a US citizen. Even though the US doesn't accept dual citizenship, you can still keep your other citizenship...the US just recognizes you solely as an American, and before the law you are an American. That's the only difference, I believe. So it's not like you have to give up your other citizenship, it's just the that US will only regonize you as being American...which I think is a fair deal.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your Canadian citizenship test!
CaliValleyGirl,
ReplyDeleteI did not know that about citizenship in the US! That is very good to know, just in case we do decide to move back there some day. I know Kev wouldn't want to give up his citizenship, either. Thanks for the info and good luck when you take the test some day as well!
Well, I also got 7 out of 10!
ReplyDelete