Saturday, January 28, 2006

Ma'am, do you have any physical deformities?

Today Kevin and I went down to the US/Canada border to try to get my open work permit. I had tried to get it at another border crossing about a week ago and they said that I couldn't get it there, that I had to send all of the forms into Vegreville, Alberta and WAIT, and wait, and wait. I didn't want to do that, because waiting meant 1) my social insurance number would expire, 2)my health care card would expire, and 3) they might not understand that I want an OPEN work permit, meaning I can work anywhere and not just at MEI.

I came home in tears from the first border...I was so tired of jumping through hoops and filling out forms. Kevin, being the good husband that he is, held me while I cried and convinced me to wait until today, saying he would go down to the border with me. He said we could try again at a different border crossing. If there is anything I have learned through this process it is that every border agent will inevitably give you a different answer than the one you just spoke to! :)

Well...we were on our way down and we prayed for a border agent that was in a good mood. We got there and we were in luck. First of all, she read the letter I had received saying I could now apply for an open work permit. She then said, "I'm sorry, I can't help you because you are applying from within Canada."

I nodded my head in defeat, saying, "Oh, thanks. Thanks for your help. I guess I'll have to send the forms in then?"

Again she said, "I'm so sorry, but I can't help you because you are coming from within Canada. If you were entering from the States, I could help you!" Ahhh! The lightbulb over my head turned on and I said,

"We'll see you in a moment." So, Kev and I took all of our stuff, got in the car, crossed over the border and came right back across the Canadian side again. We went back inside again-only 30 minutes later, the borders weren't too bad-and a wonderful, white-haired, kind old guy waved us up to the counter.

"What can I do for you?"

"Well, sir, that lady just sent us across the border and back so I could get a work permit."

"Oh yes, let's see what we have here." He then went on to check through everything that the woman had previously checked through...why couldn't we just have the same lady? She was standing right there! Oh well...he seemed nice enough. He was checking out my medical forms on the computer and went and asked another girl a question. Back to me..."Um, Ma'am, do you have a physical deformity?"

My reply, "Not that I know of! Perhaps you could tell me?"

"Well, it's just that there is a code under your medical forms that we don't understand...I guess everything is fine. We will probably find out what it means after you are gone."

Me: "When you do, can you call me? I'd like to know what's wrong with me!" He laughed, and said he was sure all was fine. He then went through the process of everything, printing out my OPEN work permit! Notice, I said OPEN! I can now work ANYWHERE I WANT! What a great feeling that is. It's not that I actually want to work anywhere else, but it's nice to know that I CAN.

$150 and about an hour and a half later, we walked out of the immigration office with my brand-new, OPEN work permit. We stopped at Taco Bell for some celebration food. On our way out, there was a sign on the door that said We're Hiring. A huge smile came across my face and I said, "I could apply for that job!" Not that I want to, but I CAN!

I now have my open work permit. It's a great feeling! Oh, and by the way...they figured out what the code means. It means that I am excessive dismissive exempt. Huh? Yeah, that was my thought...what does that mean? I have no idea, but the sweet, old guy told us that I have NO restrictions and I can even start taking some classes here and there if I want to! Glad to know I don't have any unknown physical deformities. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, Stace! I know how long you've waited for this day!!!
    Love ya,
    Nicolo

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing...it's been a long time since we've seen each other, but NO you don't have any physical deformities! LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slacker! It's been like 3 days since your last post...lol...just kidding...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:54 PM

    You and ADB should write a book. Sisterhood memoirs or something like that!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers