Wednesday, January 11, 2006

My long lost friend


We're always hearing about this or that record which has been broken. Usually, it's a good thing to break a record. I experienced that end of things this fall. Our school, Mennonite Educational Institute, did something that no other school has done in BC history. Three of our four volleyball teams went to provincials and won gold. Now, up here, things are a little different than the States, but going to Provincials is the equivalent of going to the State tournament. MEI's junior girls, junior boys, senior girls and senior boys volleyball teams all made it to Provincials. The junior boys, girls, and senior boys won and the senior girls took second. This has never happened before, and I'm not sure it will again. I was lucky enough to be the coach of the junior girls' team and it was an experience I will never forget. That was a good record to break.

Then, there are records that one would rather not break. Take, for instance, the record of the most consecutive days of rain. We are currently in the midst of that one. We have had rain every single day since December 19th. We are just four days from tying the record and a mere five days from shattering it. I'm not sure why, but for some reason the people around here are excited about that! Unfortunately for us, having days of rain doesn't just mean a drop here or there, it means gray, cloudy skies, an almost constant pattering of rain drops, and a cold, damp feeling that seeps into one's bones. I cannot remember the last time that I actually felt the sun or even caught a tiny glimpse of it. I'm told that it came out today for one brief, shining moment, but I was in my classroom and missed it. One of our secretaries promised that the next time it happens, she will phone me and let me know so I can pause in my lessons and take all of my students outside to see the long-forgotten orb of joy.

I know, I know, it sounds like I am whining. I guess in a way, I am. You just don't understand! Unless you have lived in an area like this, you can never truly understand. Now, I am thankful for the rain, because I know that it makes BC the beautiful place that it is. Summers here are amazing because everything is so green and lush, due to the rain we have experienced the entire fall, winter, and spring. I can't help but wonder...couldn't we have that with just a bit less rain?

Here's to the sun. I miss you, my friend. I can't wait until we meet again!

1 comment:

  1. *Sniff* I so know what you mean...I have to go home to Los Angeles at least once a year to see the sun there...Germany seems to not be on such good terms with it. Another cloudy day today...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers