
Every day I drive in major traffic to get to work and back. I never thought, growing up in South Dakota, that I would be one of those people that wakes up listening to the traffic report, watches the report during breakfast, and listens to report the minute I enter my car to find out which route is the best and quickest way home. It's interesting how my life has changed. Although most times I don't mind the traffic, there are definitely days that it grates on my nerves. Sometimes, as I am stuck, not moving for 30 minutes for one reason or another, I find myself fuming. What is holding me up? Why is it taking me 2 hours to get to work instead of 45 minutes!?!?!
This morning I was reminded to be thankful for my commute. I have been making this long drive out and back for three years now, and I have managed to do it without even the slightest little incident. This is pretty amazing, considering the fact that there are major accidents every single day. I have to cross a huge bridge (see above left) twice a day, and it's not always safe. This morning, there was an accident on that bridge.
I was running a little late. I had woken up late and just couldn't seem to get out of the house on time. I was angry as I made my way to the bridge...mostly at myself for not being on time. I approached the bridge deck and things began to slow down. I soon found out why! There had just been an accident right in the center lane. It had to have happened about a minute or two before I arrived. There were no emergency vehicles yet, and the people were just getting out of their cars. The man's car was totally smashed up, completely totaled. Since I hadn't seen it, I wasn't obliged to stop, but I had to make sure they were all right. I slowed down to a stop, rolled down my window and asked if they were all right and had called the police. They both said yes, so I went on my way. As I drove away from that, I was suddenly really thankful. If I had been running on time, it might have been me sitting there waiting for the police to arrive. While I'm sure that both people involved were thankful that they were all right, it would still be frustrating to deal with.
I had to remind myself yet again to be thankful for the safe drive that I have to work every day. There have been many moments through the years-most have been kept from Kevin and the rest of my family...no need for them to worry!-that I have come oh so close to being the person in the crunched car.
So...I will continue to choose to be thankful. Yes, rush hour stinks. Yes, sometimes I get tired of sitting there, burning gas and going nowhere. Yes, it often feels like I'm wasting time. I choose to be thankful. I am thankful that I have an amazing job that I love. I'm thankful that I have a great car that is a comfortable ride. I'm thankful for fun radio programs, such as Battle of the Sexes that make my ride more interesting as I yell at the radio. I'm thankful for windshield wipers, tires with traction, and brakes that work. I'm thankful that the traffic report is every ten minutes and I CAN listen and find a quicker route home. Mostly, I'm SO thankful that God has kept me safe every day on the trek to work and back.
I'm glad you're okay and that you do manage to stay safe! It still amazes me that you have that much traffic in Canada...who knew? I guess I need to visit and see for myself, huh?? :) :) Happy driving!
ReplyDeleteHere here! Nice to be safe. Commuting can have it's benefits too - this coming from a longtime commuter who's not doing it anymore. Can you believe it can be missed??? Hah.
ReplyDelete