
Today I was sitting down at my desk to eat my lunch. Sometimes, when it has been a particularly hectic day I like to eat in my room while listening to music and surfing the Net. That is often when I catch up on the lives of my friends through their own blogs, or get some marking done, or perhaps zip a few e-mails off to friends and family.
Today my tasty fare consisted of a delicious salad-made by yours truly-with Thousand Islands dressing and a gourmet peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I know...it's amazing that I can put together a lunch like that! My husband is so lucky! Well, anytime that I have a salad like that, I make sure to put the lid on the bowl and shake the salad around. This ensures that every little piece of lettuce will have some of that delicious dressing on it. Dry lettuce leaves are not something that is enticing to my tastebuds!
There I was, shaking the bowl VIGOROUSLY! I was flipping it all around. Suddenly, in the middle of my shake UP towards the ceiling, the lid flew off! Salad, dressing, carrots, cucumbers and cheese flew EVERYWHERE! I am not kidding, the pieces of that food flew out of that bowl as though they had been shot from a rocket! I set the bowl down in disbelief...looking around my room with my mouth wide open. As I looked around I saw salad on my desk, salad on my computer keyboard, salad stuck on my computer screen, salad all over my pants and all over my arms. The salad had even managed to fly clear across the room and land near my classroom door. Imagine me, sitting there, covered in icky, sticky dressing covered lettuce leaves. I began to laugh hysterically! I had no idea where to even begin cleaning it up! I decided to start with the pieces that were on me...at least when I was finished with that I would be able to move!
I began picking them up, then wiping the dressing off of myself with a napkin. Unfortunately, my sweater did not fare very well, but my pants looked amazing! They are some of my new Gap pants and they are wonderful! I honestly believe that they have some sort of magic in them, because once I had wiped off all of the dressing, they looked as though they were fresh from the cleaners! All of you moms out there, you HAVE to get these pants! The baby puke will simply wipe right off!
Although it took awhile, I thought I had everything cleaned up. The wonderful scent of Thousand Island followed me everywhere I went, but I didn't look too bad considering I felt as though I had been INSIDE of a salad spinner!
As my post-lunch class filed into the room and settled into their seats, I told them I had a funny story to tell them. I relayed the tale of my lunchtime catastrophe to them and amidst their laughs one sweet girl piped up, "Oh! That must be why there was a carrot on my desk!"
Oh my gosh, thank you SOOOOO much for a hilarious mind picture! James and I laughed SO hard, I couldn't eat!
ReplyDeleteYou know, this made me laugh even harder than the exploding dishwasher episode! Hahahaha...
ReplyDeleteYou know, it takes me back to when I was a kid, and was always amazed to hear stories like that reminding us that teachers are normal human beings too. I remember being gobsmacked when I met my teacher brought a photo album to school with pictures of her and her husband when they were at university together...it was just amazing to me that she had had a pre-teacher life...lol. And the salad episode would have been another one of those "you mean teachers are also mere mortals?" stories...lol. Thanks for sharing! And my father once shook a ketchup bottle at a Denny's and the cap flew off...they were cleaning the wallpaper after he left...we found it a lot funnier than the waitstaff.
ReplyDeleteOh man Adrienne! I forgot about my exploding dishwasher! I will have to blog about that sometime as well! Now that I'm thinking about it, I have many Stacy catastrophes to blog about!
ReplyDeleteYes, you will have to blog about some of those funny times. I would like to hear more about the time you touched the electric fence at our house! =)
ReplyDeleteStace,
ReplyDeleteI guess our tendency for disaster can be another of our similarities, eh? Heeeee...you should blog about the popcorn episode in the dorm. OR...you could blog about ME getting MY car towed in front of Pierson Hall in the middle of WINTER and having to WALK all the way to UPD.
Reading that, I felt like I had dressing all over myself. What a mess!
ReplyDelete