I should tell you now, I haven't actually run since 2002. That was my last year of university. During that year, for some reason I got onto a running kick and I went every night before bed. It was calm, quiet, peaceful...all of those words that make you go, "Aaahhhhh." I loved that time, and I found that it really helped me clear my head and fall asleep quicker when my head finally hit the pillow. That, however, was four years ago!
I walked over to the treadmills and stood staring at them for a moment. Then, I hopped on. I started out slowly, but soon worked my way up to a steady jog. I thought it would be hard, but it felt good! I ran and ran, all the while amazed that my body was actually doing this. I didn't want to stop, but finally did and went home practically jumping with excitement. I couldn't wait to tell Kevin that I had actually RUN!
Ironically enough, today at school one of the girls' P.E. teachers, Kristen, who is actually a big time runner herself, approached me about running in the Vancouver Sun Run. This is a 10K that takes place on April 23rd. She tried to get me to do it last year, but I refused. I didn't know her that well, and I definitely wasn't in shape to do it at that time. When the day came and passed, I found myself a little sad that I hadn't been able to accomplish that. This year, she refused to take no for an answer. She and I have become good friends this year-I went camping with her PE 12 girls class and it formed in us a bond that is pretty strong. It's hard NOT to bond when you are out in the pouring rain at 3:30 a.m. trying to figure out how to put the tent up again so that rain stops flooding in!
Kristen sent me an e-mail today, telling me I should do the run this year. I stopped by the PE office after school to talk to her and Jen. Jen is another good friend. We have become really close this year, and she also wanted to do the run, but felt unprepared. We decided that this year we will train together! I have just over two months to get ready for this next milestone in my life! One day a week, after all the kids go home, Jen and I are going to meet to run outdoors. Meanwhile, we will both be training on our own as well. I can't believe it...I'm going to do a 10K. That's 6.2 miles! I know that probably seems like nothing to some of you, but to me it is incredibly significant. Watch for my post on April 23rd! I'll be sure to include a picture of me...RUNNING A 10K!
I'm off to the gym for training!
Wow! You go get 'em girl! I think Candace is doing something similar! You know, I use to run all the time, and I still love to run, but can't make myself do it early in the morning, so I can't get into the habit again, because it's not something I can do later in the day. Have fun! Good luck on training! Get to where you are running much longer distances than you need to run in the race, such as being able to make it through 12 or 14k, and always sprint at the end, no matter how tired you are! That will help!
ReplyDeleteI ran my first 10K almost 3 1/2 years ago. I can remember how nervous I was before the race. I was wondering if I was going to be able to finish it. The race went extremely well, and I actually ran a lot faster than I did in training (you get pulled along by other runners). After that running races became this great training goal. It was like, running the race was the goal, and the side benefit was keeping in shape. I also gradually increased the distances of the runs I was in, actually making it up to 2 half-marathons last year.
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is that running in races are fun...and the most fun are the 10Ks, since really all ages and shapes take part...there is nothing like a little 7 year old overtaking you to make you laugh (it's happened to me).
I can't wait for that picture of you running a 10K...I might be able to trade you a picture of me scaling the Great Wall for it! ;-)
Calivalleygirl...do you have any advice for training? I went online last night and found a training schedule. Any hits or helpful advice? I would really appreciate. By the way...I'm looking forward to seeing that picture of you on the Great Wall. You're going to LOVE it!
ReplyDeleteWell, I don't think you need to do any special training for a 10K...I mean, my goal running my first 10K, was just to finish. I was actually pretty nervous that I wasn't going to be able to finish it for some reason. But actually running 10km in training before would help you lose that fear. I think I jogged about 3x a week for about 30 minutes each time...I guess in retrospect I would suggest running at least 45 minutes once a week, just to get yourself used to longer distances. But really a 10K is about an hour long, give or take 10 minutes depending on your speed. And if you can run 45 minutes, you can run an hour.
ReplyDeleteWhat is also an interesting idea is to put more difficult elements into your training, for example, one or two sprints for a short distance...just pushing yourself as fast as you can go, for as long as you can handle. (I handle 30 seconds...so we aren't talking a 4 minute mile or anything here...lol). And if you have the possibility, do some hill sprints...like running up stadium stairs...or just a hill. I have started doing that recently, and it kills...however, you can shorten your training time and have increased results, nevertheless (I like to watch out for my knees, and the shorter the duration of the training unit, the better). They are also finding that shorter, but higher intensity workouts have better fat-burning results than the old fashioned cardio, so including a few sprints is good.
And let me tell you something to ease your mind: if you entered into a 10k tomorrow you would be able to do it, if you can jump on the treadmill and the gym and have a great workout, you would physically capable of running a 10k. You might be a little slower, but you would be able to do it. Training is really good to learn how to pace yourself, mentally prepare yourself, and to just increase your endurance, so that you are actually smiling when your finisher's photo is taken!
Okay...after just taking a 150-question test on the cardiovascular system, I really feel like I need to do the same! Your heart will love you for it ;)
ReplyDelete