I guess you go through the same emotions as a teacher! This is my fourth year of teaching and each year I have felt the same at about this time...anxious to be done for a few months. As I look back and reflect, I realize that each of my past four years can be reflected in the summer and the event taking place during that summer. No wonder I look forward to that time so much!
Summer Number One
My first year of teaching I was anxious to be done because it meant a huge life change for me. First I would be visiting my sister in South Carolina for a few weeks and then it was time to move up to Canada! I was scared, a little nervous, but mostly just thrilled that I would finally have an opportunity to have a somewhat normal relationship with the love of my life!

The trip to SC was fun and I enjoyed spending some quality time with my nephew, but when I got back I couldn't even wait the extra day I had planned to wait before heading to Canada. I got a quick night of sleep and then took off for the northern border in my car. I drove and drove, making it as far as Grant's Pass, Oregon before I stopped for the night. Kevin had wanted me to stay in Cali an extra day to get some rest before I took off, but if you know me you know how impatient I can be! I made it to Canada just two days after returning from South Carolina. I can still remember walking up to the door of Kevin's house. I remember being nervous, and wondering if I had really made the right choice. I mean, I was moving to a different country! My life would never be the same after this moment. I remember wiping my palms down my shorts because for some reason my hands had become all clammy. I stood on the steps in slight indecision before pushing the doorbell. I remember my heart beating faster than normal as I waited for him to come to the door. Once he opened the door and I saw the look of joy on his face, I knew it was all going to be all right.
We left for Cali just a few short days after that. This time we had a U-haul behind us and we were making our way down there to pick up the rest of my stuff that I wasn't able to fit into my car. That trip is another story for another day...let's just say it was interesting! We experienced a four hour wait at McD's in Seattle, a hospital visit, breaking into the house we were staying in, and many other fun adventures! I'll blog about it some day!
Summer Number Two
Summer number two was probably bigger for me in terms of life-changing events. Just three days after the school year officially ended I married the aforementioned love of my life! As you can probably imagine, my mind was definitely NOT focused on teaching Spanish those last few weeks. Up here school classes run until about the 16th of June and then the last two weeks of June are used for testing. When that last week finally rolled around I was going crazy with the anticipation of it all!

The final week of school was the best part. My family and friends began to show up for the wedding. Kevin and I had decided to be married up here in Canada. It had always been my dream to be married by the beach, that was about to be a reality!
My parents were the first to show up. If I remember right, I think they showed up on Sunday night. I was supposed to be in school until Wednesday, the 30th of June. Crazy! I was so excited that they were there...all I wanted to do was hang out with them. My friends Dave and Abbigail were the next to arrive. They came in from Texas. I hadn't seen them since their own wedding, almost three years earlier. Dave and I go way back...we have known each other since 2nd grade. Again, I just wanted to be with everybody but I knew I had obligations. That's where the stress began.
My friends and family slowly kept trickling in. My sister, brother and best friend Lacy drove up together...they arrived in the middle of the night and I remember an early morning phone call reporting that they were lost!
Alas, this is another week that I should probably post about in another post on another day. The summer after my second year of teaching was definitely one of the most memorable and busy! We were married on the perfect afternoon of July 3, 2004. The weather was gorgeous, the venue was perfect, and I remember smiling until my mouth hurt because I was so filled with joy! I had so much fun.

A few days after our wedding, it was off to Maui for two weeks of honeymoon fun in the sun. We para-sailed, we snorkeled, we went to a Luau, we drove the Road to Hana, we suntanned...it was just the most amazing time, and the best start to our marriage. I can't remember ever having more fun with someone than I had with Kevin on our honeymoon. I guess it was the start of our many adventures together.
After returning from the amazing two weeks in Maui it was off to South Dakota! This trip was for a reception for the friends and family that weren't able to make it to Canada for the actual wedding. It was wonderful to share our happiness with my friends back home. I was so excited for them to meet Kevin. For some of them that was their first time meeting the man of my dreams. We visited friends, had a bbq with family and then it was back home again!
Upon returning home, we took off for the first of our many Jonat/Sowerby camping trips. We took off for the interior to spend a few days huddling under tarps in the rain. Who knew that could be so much fun!? I never knew that I would spend a week short after my honeymoon sharing a tent with two of our best friends and their children! I also didn't know that I would enjoy it so much!

The final week of school was the best part. My family and friends began to show up for the wedding. Kevin and I had decided to be married up here in Canada. It had always been my dream to be married by the beach, that was about to be a reality!
My parents were the first to show up. If I remember right, I think they showed up on Sunday night. I was supposed to be in school until Wednesday, the 30th of June. Crazy! I was so excited that they were there...all I wanted to do was hang out with them. My friends Dave and Abbigail were the next to arrive. They came in from Texas. I hadn't seen them since their own wedding, almost three years earlier. Dave and I go way back...we have known each other since 2nd grade. Again, I just wanted to be with everybody but I knew I had obligations. That's where the stress began.
My friends and family slowly kept trickling in. My sister, brother and best friend Lacy drove up together...they arrived in the middle of the night and I remember an early morning phone call reporting that they were lost!
Alas, this is another week that I should probably post about in another post on another day. The summer after my second year of teaching was definitely one of the most memorable and busy! We were married on the perfect afternoon of July 3, 2004. The weather was gorgeous, the venue was perfect, and I remember smiling until my mouth hurt because I was so filled with joy! I had so much fun.
A few days after our wedding, it was off to Maui for two weeks of honeymoon fun in the sun. We para-sailed, we snorkeled, we went to a Luau, we drove the Road to Hana, we suntanned...it was just the most amazing time, and the best start to our marriage. I can't remember ever having more fun with someone than I had with Kevin on our honeymoon. I guess it was the start of our many adventures together.
After returning from the amazing two weeks in Maui it was off to South Dakota! This trip was for a reception for the friends and family that weren't able to make it to Canada for the actual wedding. It was wonderful to share our happiness with my friends back home. I was so excited for them to meet Kevin. For some of them that was their first time meeting the man of my dreams. We visited friends, had a bbq with family and then it was back home again!
Upon returning home, we took off for the first of our many Jonat/Sowerby camping trips. We took off for the interior to spend a few days huddling under tarps in the rain. Who knew that could be so much fun!? I never knew that I would spend a week short after my honeymoon sharing a tent with two of our best friends and their children! I also didn't know that I would enjoy it so much!

I have to say, that second summer was probably the craziest and busiest one I have experienced so far...but it was also one of the best! After all, I was now a married woman!
Summer Number ThreeLast summer was summer number three. While it did not prove to be quite as hectic as summer number two, it was fun on it's own! Summer number three was the one during which we celebrated our first anniversary...while on the road to South Dakota. My little sister was getting married!
It was off to South Dakota yet another time...are you seeing a theme here? I bet when Kevin was growing up he never thought he would be traveling to South Dakota just about every summer for the rest of his life!
I was so excited to see my little sister getting married. I couldn't believe she was actually old enough for that, and I then found myself understanding the emotions that my big sister, Adrienne, had gone through the summer before with me. I realized that no matter what happens, how we grow up and what life changes come our way, we are still just the crazy Brunner Kids. 

That trip home was one of the best yet. We got to go out and stay with Matt and Vanessa for awhile. We loved spending time with them and their two cute kids. We had many fun moments with my parents, and it was the FIRST TIME my entire family-all siblings, spouses, kids, etc.-had been together in one house for several years. Imagine that crazyness!
After we returned from that trip, it was off on another camping trip with the Jonats-this year we had our own tents. It was another crazy trip that can only be summed up in another time.
Summer Number FourSo, here we are...on the brink of summer number four. I already know that this one will be as fun, crazy and busy as the last three have been. Perhaps that is why I am barely able to tolerate being at work each day. I absolutely love my job, but I can't wait for summer to begin.
For me, this summer will begin on June 29th. That's the day that my Candy Pandy arrives.
To be honest, I can't actually remember the last time that JUST she and I had some time together. She came to visit me both in California and here, but each time another one of my friends came along too. While that was truly wonderful, I can't wait to just hang out with ONLY her! We are both completely different people since the last time that happened. We have grown up and changed our thoughts and ideals. We are both married women on the brink of creating families, buying houses, and doing all of those other grown up things that come with getting older. I am finding this to be a precious time in my relationship with my sisters, as they become more than just sisters...they become best friends. I will get seven days of fun with her, and I can't wait!
To be honest, I can't actually remember the last time that JUST she and I had some time together. She came to visit me both in California and here, but each time another one of my friends came along too. While that was truly wonderful, I can't wait to just hang out with ONLY her! We are both completely different people since the last time that happened. We have grown up and changed our thoughts and ideals. We are both married women on the brink of creating families, buying houses, and doing all of those other grown up things that come with getting older. I am finding this to be a precious time in my relationship with my sisters, as they become more than just sisters...they become best friends. I will get seven days of fun with her, and I can't wait!The day after she leaves, the next portion of my summer begins. I will be off to Europe! I'm heading to Germany, France, and Spain for 18 days with my school! We are taking a group of about 20 kids and I can't wait. Some of the amazing things we will be seeing and experiencing are Rothenburg-the walled city in Germany, Dachau-a WW II concentration camp, The Eiffel Tower, The Louvre, Monaco, a Neckar River cruise, the Prado and Plaza Mayor in Spain, a Barcelona city walk...it's an amazing opportunity! The best part is that I will be experiencing it for free! Since I am a chaperone, my trip is completely paid for (unless you're tallying up my souvenirs!).
Although I'm quite excited about this opportunity one thing that I a little sad about is the fact that I will be away from Kevin for about a month. I know, I know army wives, that is nothing compared to what you guys go through, but it is the FIRST time we will be apart for that long since we have gotten married! The longest we have gone so far is a week and that felt like forever. I'm not sure what we will do...I won't even be able to phone him regularly. I guess I will be so busy I probably won't even notice. He will also be busy, as he will be in Oregon studiously working on his Master's degree!
I guess my history with summers is probably one of the main reasons that every year when I get to this point I can't wait for the summer to start. My summers have been full of fun and adventures, from driving down the I-5 in an overheated Explorer to cruising down the Neckar River with 20 high schoolers! I can't wait to see how this summer turns out! Here's to some summer fun!
I am looking forward to all your future posts about the events you left teasers for! As for the month away from Kevin: well, even army wives (or army gfs) still think a month is a long time. I think traveling without your partner is hard, bc you want to share experiences with them...you see things and wish they were there with you to see them, too. But instead you will be sharing those things with other people, and that creates a whole new bond it itself. And when you get back, you and Kevin will have butterflies and all the anticipation that disappears from everyday love life. When will you be in Germany? (You can email me.)
ReplyDeleteWhen Ryan and i were in Japan after getting married, he had to go away to Tokyo for a conference for a few nights. It was so short but because we had never been away from each other since we got married, it was sad too! But it really flares up the fires again! HAHA. They're not joking when they say that absence makes he heart grow fonder.
ReplyDelete