I'm not sure why I never really realized it until last night, but the bulk bin aisles in the grocery store are the most amazing place! You can get anything from Smarties to spaghetti noodles to dried mangos all for a fraction of the cost you would probably pay for the entire bag. It's such a pretty place too! So many different colors...I simply LOVED walking down the aisle with all of the powders-you know, grape juice powder, chicken broth powder, fruit punch powder, hot chocolate...it an endless rainbow of colors! Beautiful!I have to admit, I looked a little crazy, hopping from bin to bin. I wanted dried mangoes-which Kevin wisely convinced me I didn't need at the price of $1.98/100 grams...yes, maybe I could make do with the much cheaper Hawaiin Fruit Mix at only $.68/100 grams, I mean it DID have dried mangoes in it! I wanted spaghetti-which we later found MUCH cheaper, a 900 gram bag for only $.98 whereas the bulk was $.16/100 grams-okay wait, maybe it was only about $.45 difference but hey, every little penny matters! I needed slivered almonds for a trifle I planned to make. Now, this is where the bulk bins make sense. For something like this trifle I just needed a small bit of slivered almonds to go on top of the whipped topping...I didn't need an entire bag. Buying the entire bag would have just meant that I would have eaten the rest of the almonds instead of something probably a wee bit better for me, such as an apple or a banana. So, I got JUST what I needed...no leftovers! Ah, the bulk bins...a little slice of heaven! Why have I never taken the time to walk down these aisles before?
Ooh, probably a good thing we don't have those here!
ReplyDeleteFor me, discovering the bulk bins was like discovering the "right click". A world of wonder that you didn't know was there.
ReplyDeleteHmm...it sounds like Cosco? Ikea used to remind me of a warehouse sometimes too--big bins of cute, cheap stuff...gotta love it!
ReplyDeleteIt's different than Costco in that you can get JUST the amount you need. You don't have to buy a huge package. I like it! I also love Costco, but for different things.
ReplyDelete