Interesting Oprah today. Normally I don't watch her. I'm usually not home in time and honestly, I don't think she's as great as a lot of people do. Today, though, the bridge traffic was unusually light and I was home by four. I had work to do on the computer and put her on in the background. Interesting topic...sort of relevant to women my age.
The question was "Can women have it all?" Can we have the job, the husband, the kids, the house...can we truly have it all? She had many different lifestyles represented: the working single mom, the working married mom, the stay at home mom. She had Elizabeth Vargas on speaking of her own struggle. All of the comments were so interesting to me.
I don't really know how I feel about all of it. I absolutely love my job! I feel fulfilled by it. Every day is different. I enjoy watching kids learn before my very eyes. I have been doing it for five years now. I don't know when I will have kids, but when I do will I lose that desire to make a difference in my working world? Will the well being of the kids overshadow all of that? Will I be willing to lose that part of myself? I'm not sure.
What do you think? Can women have it all? Will they suffer if they are a stay at home mom? Will their children suffer if they go to work? Will their job and spouse suffer if they try to do it all? Interesting questions...I don't know. I don't have an answer. I'm just glad I don't have to make a decision right now!
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago
Qué tal se vive en Canadá? Entendés español? Soy Argentino por cualquier cosa.
ReplyDeleteTip: NO captcha!! Es molesto
I think the important thing is to remember that no matter which you choose, you CAN have it all, or you CAN have NOTHING. Your kids can suffer if you are a stay-at-home mom who still doesn't spend real time with her kids. But you can have a successful career, a great husband, and wonderful kids, and still have time for all of it, balancing it well. It just depends on where your priorities are!
ReplyDeleteI think that 'having it all' may just mean doing what makes YOU happy. (or any individual) I know women who work and have children and believe that they 'have it all' and I know women who stay home and believe that they 'have it all.' I believe that if you can look at yourself in the mirror each night and be happy with who you are and what's happening in your life, then you have it all!
ReplyDelete