I know, I know...two posts in one day! Can you tell that I am probably trying to avoid doing something that I should be doing? It's taking a shower. Yep, it's 5 p.m. and still I sit in my pjs. I have gotten a lot accomplished today, strangely, but I'm still in my pajamas. Good times.
I digress.
Tonight, what I WOULD be showering and getting ready for if I were not currently sitting here with a rounded belly feeling my baby move, would be my 1o year high school reunion. Yep, that's right. The Newell High School class of 1998 is meeting tonight for a lovely dinner and reminiscing. I have been out of high school for ten years. While in some ways that seems crazy, in some ways it also totally makes sense. It feels like I haven't been there for a long time...yet in some ways it feels like just yesterday.
I loved my class. We were from a tiny, tiny town. Our class had only 35 people. No, that's not a typo, it actually had 35 people in it. For the most part, we got along, and we had a lot of fun along the way. Many of us were farm kids, and those that weren't were still a lot of fun and were around for most of the schooling experience. There were many of us that started out together in kindergarten. We made it all the way through, making memories the entire way.
One of the best parts of my school experience was the fact that my cousin and best buddy, Matt, was in the same grade as me. We lived about a mile apart and were pretty much inseparable from the day he was born, just six months after me. We had fun together, and he started dating my best friend, Vanessa, in grade 8. They are now married with two beautiful children, and are some of the people that Kev and I always make sure to see when we make a trip back home.
I am pleased that I have managed to maintain contact with those people that were pretty dear to me. Some of the friendships have become a bit less closer, some friendships have grown deeper, yet they are still there. I would love to be seeing them tonight...hugging them and catching up. Yet, I don't really feel like I'm missing out too much, because I do see them any time we head home. I keep in touch with many of them via email and facebook, or even through snail mail. It's wonderful to live in the day and age that we live in, where we can keep up with one another so easily.
There are two things I am sad to be missing out on tonight. The first is the opening of the reunion trunk. We made this when we were in grade 10. Each person put in a little shoebox of the things that were important to them, we wrote ourselves letters, we measured our waists-good thing I'm not measuring mine tonight! :) I remember videotaping ourselves taking laps-this consists of driving around town in endless circles while talking-I'm pretty sure this wouldn't go over to well with today's gas prices of over $4 a gallon! I would love to see that box being opened, and I look forward to getting my little shoebox at Christmas. Nessa is going to get it for me.
The other thing is the power point slide show. It would be fun to see everyone's reactions to the pictures and to compare who we are now to who we were then. I will see the slide show, my friend Mike has promised to send it to me, but it would be fun to watch it with everyone else.
Overall, I don't feel too sad. I'm thrilled to be just five weeks or so from meeting our baby for the first time, and I happily exchange that for the reunion. I also know that I'll be seeing a lot of the people I really want to see at Christmas-with the exception of Dave...you'll just have to come and visit me!
Here are a few fun pictures of the good old days...although I think today is even better!

Grade 7...in the town park...they are having the class bbq there tomorrow! I'm in the middle in the teal colored t-shirt.
Prom in grade 11...because we were such a small school we could go in grade 11 and 12. I'm on the right, and the left is Dy, middle Amanda. I'm still in touch with those girls!
My friend, Matt, and I both got speeding tickets on the same day, from the same cop! Too fast in the school zone...oops!

Graduation...shaking the Superintendent's hand.
Me and Nessa in Study Hall...best friends...still great friends and now family!
Have fun Class of '98!!
The 7th grade picture cracks me up. I totally remember having the high bangs and wearing over-sized t-shirts with tight-rolled jeans! I found a picture a while back of my friend Deborah and I camping the summer after 7th grade. We are proudly posing with our matching Ocean Pacific t-shirts...ha! I agree though...those days seem like eons ago when I think of everything that's happened between then and now but I can remember being there so clearly.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny...I just looked at your class motto in your graduation picture and realized that I had the exact same one! Must have been a good theme that year. :)
ReplyDelete