Thursday, July 31, 2008

Where is this so called nesting instinct?

I have read and read and heard about this so called nesting instinct that is supposed to kick in. It's supposed to make you get this burst of energy where you just want to clean everything in sight and prepare for baby. Mine has not arrived...I don't think it will. I think that I am wired wrong.

There are so many things I would rather do than deep clean my house. I like to take a little nap, or go for walk, or meet a friend to chat, or best of all, snuggle with my hubby while we watch TV or talk or just enjoy time together with no distractions. All of these things are much more important to me than cleaning my house. I feel guilty about this.

Isn't a good mom supposed to want to clean up her house in preparation for the arrival of the birth? Maybe it is the fact that we are moving a month after this. I know that we will be moving into a place that will be freshly painted and cleaned, and I won't have to super clean it. I also know, however, that I need to super clean this place before we move out and right now? I'm so not feeling it. I saw a Molly Maid car drive by me today and found myself wondering what they would charge to come and do the cleanup. Then I shook my head, thinking how silly that would be when I am perfectly capable of doing it myself.

I have a dear friend, my best girl friend, that has offered to help me clean. I should take her up on this, really, I should. Her place is always wonderfully clean. She has been embarrassed a few times when I came over and she hadn't had a chance to spif it up-I looked around in awe thinking that I wish my house looked like her messy version even half of the time! I guess it is because I know that she is so neat and clean that I'm a bit embarrassed to have her come over and help me. Things are always okay on the surface, but I know the truth. There are areas that have lots of dust. I'm sure if you looked underneath our bed you would find feathers galore. The laundry room? I can't remember the last time I mopped the floor. I just haven't had the ambition for it lately. It bugs me. I was counting on that nesting instinct to make me finally get up and get the work done. Now I'm wondering...is that ever going to happen? Somehow I think not.

I'm pretty sure I used up all of the nesting instinct that I had last weekend when we cleaned our cottage. I worked hard that day! I'm pretty sure that I stood over the kitchen sink washing all of the dishes for at least two hours! I also wiped down cupboards, reorganized the shelves, and helped Kevin in cleaning the living room. He took care of the bedrooms thankfully. Now I'm starting to think that I wasted some valuable nesting though!

Kevin has helped to keep up with things, doing the dishes often, vacuuming-when we can see the floor, and moving and rearranging the pile of baby stuff. He's working as a summer school teacher though, and also involved in a lot of other things, so there is only so much that he can do. Plus, I don't know if Dads to Be get the nesting instinct, do they? I don't think so, since I'm wondering if I'm even going to get it!

Here's to hoping it comes sometime in the next week. I really would love to have a clean house before Baby S arrives. I think I'll go and take a nap now.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I think the nesting instinct is different in everyone. I think I was like you, for me, it was this anxiousness that I had everything ready: car seat, bed, etc. And once I had all those things, I was feeling okay. The "nest" was made, so to say. However, I do have to mention that exactly 7 days before the baby was born, I got a steam cleaner and decided I HAD to steam clean the carpets...I am certainly not the neatest person, but that was one thing I felt I had to have, and my friends thought it was hysterical that I was doing that, since they know what a mess I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nesting instinct never came. I actually DID find out how much Molly Maid charged. But that was after baby was born.

    After baby, you will likely not ever have the same chance to clean. I feel guilty about the state of my house every day...sigh...

    But compared to cuddling, building block towers, and catching up on sleep/food/etc, what's more important?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers