I just worked on packing my bag for the hospital...you know the one. It's the one that has all of those things that you think you will need in it. I find that I feel overwhelmed and underprepared. I have no idea what I really need. I went online and found a list, and also talked to a few friends. We also had a list that was in our book from our prenatal class that seemed pretty helpful but really? How can you know?
My question for all you moms out there that have been through this...what is the MUST have item? Is there one item that you WISHED you had taken that you forgot? What do you think the essentials are? Help me out please! Post your must have items in the comments section. Now that I'm at 37 weeks, I figured I should probably have the bag ready to go. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night panicking becuase i thought about what I would have to do if I suddenly started going into labour. I plan to stay home as long as possible, but I kind of doubted that the thing I would want to be doing would be packing a bag for the hospital.
Help me out here, ladies! Or even gents! Guys, what did YOU wish you had taken? I don't want to leave Kevin out here.
Monday, August 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago
Hmm....I hardly used ANYTHING I took. They give you diapers, wipes, no outfits are really needed until the trek home. And during labout the LAST thing I was thinking about is the fun things for distraction (iPod, card games, etc).
ReplyDeleteOOH! I thought of one. This is going to sound silly, but I needed a vase. I got lots of flowers and ended up sticking them in a pill bottle. But....who's actually going to pack a vase in their baby bag? It's a little presumptuous.
Colin would probably say he wished he brought earplugs.
I really needed chapstick, my lips were really dry and ice chips didn't work. For a special treat I went out and got travel sized shampoo, conditioner, and body wash in my favorite scent (the kind I won't usually spend the money on) it was nice and now I associate that scent with all those memories. I am praying for you guys, you are so close...how exciting!!
ReplyDeleteextra strength advil. They give you pills but the t3's you have to ask for and sign for. at four am I didnt want to deal with that and just wanted some advil nearby.
ReplyDeleteOh, Angela has a point there! I got a Motrin just after the birth, probably around 2pm, and they were supposed to give me another one with my dinner, but the nurse forgot...well, at about 4AM, I really wanted one...lol. But they couldn't give me Motrin between meals. So I had the choice between Advil and Percocet. I chose the Advil, and the nurse brought it in, but it was kind of bothersome to have to summon the night nurse and discuss this all. It would have been easier to just have the Advil byt the bed and some water and be done with it.
ReplyDeleteI brought many fashion mags, but only ended up reading Glamour. I did read quite a bit into my breastfeeding book, and my Dr. Sears Baby Book.
I also brought a hairdryer, make-up and hair products. I just wanted to leave the hospital looking good, as this was going to be my first venture out into the world as a mom, and I didn't want to do it in sweats and with no make-up. Definitely not essential, but I am glad I had it with me.
Oh, snacks. I had dried fruits and granola bars, because I would get hungry between meals.
Camera, camera battery charger, laptop and USB cord. We sent out the first emails with pics just hours after the birth, as the hospital had wireless.
Your phone charger, because you will be receiving and making many phone calls.
You might want to take your own sanitary pads, because the ones they give you at the hospital are larger than the newborn diapers...granted you are bleeding a lot, but I would have gladly traded changing them more often, for not feeling so bulky.
And I brought my own pillow, because I love down pillows, and they don't have those at the hospital.
Oh, I just thought of another thing I wish I had had: towels. They only have tiny towels. I wish I had taken a few of my bath sheets, but in dark colors, because of the bleeding.
ReplyDeleteAs for the bag, it's overrated. Just pack clean underwear and shirts for Kevin. Bring granny underwear for you and some comfy, pregnancy clothes (yes, you will still wear them after the baby is born for awhile).
ReplyDeleteTwo things I will do different next time:
1. Turn off my cell phone. Ior Jose will update my voice mail every hour or so (make sure you know PIN to change voicemail). Everyone will be calling because they love you and want to know what's going on, but the last thing you want is your phone ringing when doctor is talking, etc. Also, you just don't really feel like talking or being annoyed by constant rings.
2. Take advantage of the nursery. I read in all the books not to send the baby to the nursery because you won't bond. I did that the first nights-- but guess what, as soon as you get home, YOU'RE IT!!!ANd it goes on for months, years.... take advantage of the 2 or 3 nights and get the rest you will need to face your first nights at home. They're full of love, of course, but anyone who says their easy is lying.
Good luck!
Tami
Daniel came 4weeks early so we had nothing; not even a camera! I would suggest a good headband/hair tye, razor and graham crackers & peanut butter. The razor helps you feel a little normal after a long labor. The crackers are for when they give you meds in the middle of the night but nothing to help push through your stomach or you need a snack when baby is nursing! Also needed our address book of numbers of aunts and uncles or to address baby announcements while stuck in hospital.
ReplyDeletePraying for all.
Amanda
Chapstick is a must! My lips were very dry during labor. Other things: comfy clothes, your boppy pillow, a new toothbrush (you don't want to have to remember to pack yours when you are in labor), nursing bras. I also brought the makeup, hairdryer and perfume...it helped to feel good when I left the hospital. Most other things the hospital will provide.
ReplyDeleteGood luck and keep us posted! You will do great! We are thinking of you.
Abby (and Nick too)
Although I've never given birth :), I can vouch (sp?) for the large sanny pads...bring your own!
ReplyDeleteBring a pillow and blanket from home for you. I guess it depends how long you are in the hospital for, but the beds just aren't conducive to a good night sleep. I was much more comfortable with my blankie :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats, by the way!