Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sniff...Ah-chOOO...Itchy, Itchy!


I don't like to complain a lot...I try not to most of the time, except to my dear husband. If I'm not feeling great he gets the earful that I don't want to bother everyone else with. This week...I think I need to complain out loud.


When I was little, I used to have terrible allergies. I grew up on a farm and I would run around in the corn fields, climb on the hay bales, and then come inside to red, itchy eyes, sneezing, and all around miserableness. Is that a word? My mom would give me some Benadryl, and then I'd be out...my miserable feelings subsiding. The bliss of taking the Benadryl was almost something I looked forward to...just falling asleep and getting completely away from that horrible itchy, sneezy feeling was so wonderful.


As I grew older and moved away from home, the allergies disappeared. I watched various allergy medicine commercials on television and actually thanked the Lord that I didn't have to deal with them anymore. When I moved here, every Spring I watched sympathetically as various people I knew dealt with the allergies that showed up as the flowers bloomed. I knew how they felt, and I was so thankful to NOT be dealing with those feelings.


Well, welcome to motherhood! I am discovering what seems to be yet another side effect of having a baby. It's not one that I love either, like my hips and thighs being smaller than before I had my baby! My allergies are back, and not just back, but back with a VENGEANCE! My eyes are so itchy I feel like I want to scratch them out of my head. My nose is either stuffed up or completely running. I am constantly sneezing huge sneezes that make my entire body convulse! As I sit feeding my son, I am feeling the itching in my nose so much that I just wiggle it over and over again. Only the fact that I have a snuggly, sweet, warm little boy out of the deal makes it worthwhile...very worthwhile!


Yeah, I'm ready to be done with this allergy thing. My doctor has told me of a medication that I should be able to take without it affecting Rusty. I'm a little afraid to take it though, when I take Benadryl it knocks me out completely. I think I will wait until Kev gets home from work to take it just in case I end up sleeping.


To all of the fellow allergy sufferers out there, I feel your pain! *Sniff, ah-CHOO!*

2 comments:

  1. My mom developed allergies after my brother was born.

    My allergies come in the form of raging sinus headaches. I feel like I can't be a good mommy when my head is pounding and and my face hurts.

    They just aren't fun those allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...I've been an allergy/sinus/sensitive skin sufferer for my entire life so I know exactly what this is all about. I used to have "sneeze-offs" when I was in junior high...I would lay in bed and count how many times I sneezed and once it was like 20 or 25...crazy. My sinuses are my allergy symptom...chronic sinus pain, drainage, dark circles under my eyes...I take Allegra D and it helps. I used to take Claritin (for years) but I think it became less effective over time. Benadryl is good but evil...it knocks me out as well...I feel almost semi-comatose so I take that few and far between. I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to Illinois...maybe it's all of the corn or the industry and subsequent pollution, not sure...but I wake almost every day to sinus pain. Anyway...enough complaining! I guess we both needed to vent about health issues today. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers