Friday, June 05, 2009

South Dakota Post 1: My Grandparents

My main reason for wanting to take this trip home was to see my grandparents. They hadn't been doing so well recently, and I felt that it was really important to get home and see them and spend some GREAT time with them. I feel like this was definitely accomplished.


Before going, my goal was to see them at least three times and to have some good, deep conversations with them. My mom and I went to their care home the second day I was there. We took Rusty along, and he was amazing. Both of my grandparents were just so delighted with him. They kept saying how cute he was and he just crawled around and played. My favorite moment of this visit was between Rusty and my grandma. He was sitting on my lap playing while I was talking to her. Suddenly, he looked at her and just reached over and took both of her hands in between his, smiling at her the entire time. He sat there just holding her hands for several long moments.
Over several visits I was able to laugh with my grandparents, reminisce about the past, tell them how much they meant to me and express what amazing grandparents they truly are, and even to cry together. It was everything I hoped it would be and then some!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers