Friday, September 04, 2009

Cousins

My cousins have been visiting us for the last week. It's funny to say that they are my cousins, because I know that some people don't have much of a relationship with their cousins...that has never been the case for me. My family grew up very close, and we still remain close to this day. These cousin, however, couldn't be any more like brothers and sisters if they were from my own mother and father.


My cousin, Matt, was born just about six months after me. He and I grew up less than a mile apart, and spent hardly any time apart. We were best friends all through school, until his wife came along in 8th grade, that is! Vanessa moved to our school in 8th grade and quickly became my best friend, then his girlfriend, and after their second year of college, his wife! I couldn't have been any happier to have my best friend in the family. It has been nothing but great ever since.


They now have two ADORABLE and I mean ADORABLE kids. The time finally came that they decided to take a family vacation. We were so honored when they decided that their family vacation should be coming to Canada to visit us! We have always made a point to visit them when we are home, usually staying overnight for at least one night, but we have never had the opportunity to spend an entire week together since I met and married Kevin. I was so excited to have them here I could hardly stand it!


The week has been so great. I have to admit, I'm feeling a bit depressed at the thought that they are leaving tomorrow. It has been so, well, easy! They have been staying upstairs in my landlords' guest rooms and coming down here every morning and we have just spent the days together doing whatever! Today Nessa and I spent the whole day together shopping and the boys took the kids to the pool. It was so great to have that time with her. We have always been able to talk about anything and everything, and just riding in the car together this week has given us that chance to fill each other in on the last five years or so of life! Kevin has looked at us in amazement and said last night as we were getting ready for bed, "I can't get a word in edgewise when you are talking to Nessa! I've never seen anything like it! It's great! You guys just talk and talk!" It's true. My friendship with her has always been easy, and we have always been much like sisters. I love the history that we have together, but I also cherish that we have moved past that history and created such a great friendship in our adult lives.


Matt and Vanessa are incredible parents. We value their relationship with their kids so much, and we look to them as parent role models. We have spent hours this week asking advice of them on things that they think work and don't work, and just getting a chance to observe how they interact with their kids. I love what I see! They are amazing and the kids reflect the hard work they have put into raising them. We love the way that their kids interact with Rusty. He has had so much fun with them! I think he will probably be roaming around the house looking for them in the next few days!


It's been a great week, oh if only our dreams of them moving here and sharing a house with us could come true! If it could work with anyone, it would be them. I'm so thankful for this week, the chance to reconnect, the chance to get to know their kids better, the chance to see them as parents, the chance for Kevin to grow a deeper relationship with them. God is good, and we thank him for this time together.


I'll leave you with two cute pics of the kiddos...they are adorable!Cute Boys in Matching Polos
Love

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all of that Stacy. You are such an amazing friend. God has blessed you with such a wonderful gift. I hope that you realize that you touch so many people with all the kind words and wisdom that flow from you. You are a blessing to me and to my family. God is good and I know that he has amazing things planned for us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers