Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Daddy's Best Bud

A boy and his dad.  This is an age old relationship, and it is one that can be really wonderful, or cause a lot of strife.  Rusty is blessed to be in the first category.  I think that he thinks his daddy is his best friend.  All day long I hear him ask for "Dada, Dada, Dada!"  We are out grocery shopping and he sees a car like his dad's and cries "Dadda!"  When Kevin walks in the door after a long day at work Rusty runs to it yelling, "DADA!"  His daddy is his best bud.

They play together, all of the time.  Daddy is fun, he has time for his little man.  They hit the ball around with their hockey sticks-Daddy's is the big one, Rusty's is the small.  Any time he sees Daddy's hockey sticks it's that same phrase, "DADA!"  Every day when Kevin gets home from work he takes Rusty outside to play in the yard.  Kicking the ball around, going for walks, it doesn't really matter what they do, as long as Rusty is with Daddy, he is happy!  They play hide and seek throughout the house, first one scaring the other and then vice versa.  One of Rusty's favorite games is to jump on the bed with Daddy holding him and helping him to "fly high" in the air.

I always wondered what kind of a father Kevin would be.  I can't say that I ever imagined this.  He was born to be Rusty's father.  He is patient, kind, loving.  He gives Rusty tons of hugs and kisses.  He teaches him new things.  He always has time for him.  He shows Rusty what it is like to be a man of God by praying with him and for him and by acting the way that he hopes Rusty will some day act.   Rusty has such a great role model to look up to.  I love that he already knows that he can trust his dad for anything, and that his dad always has time for him.

Kevin knows Rusty's schedule as well as I do, and when Rusty falls down and needs a kiss his daddy's kisses are just as good as his mommy's.  When he wakes up scared at night his daddy's snuggles are as good as mommy's...in fact last night they were better!  Rusty is a little sick, and woke up several times.  I tried to comfort him, but finally the last time he just started calling "Dada!  DADA!"  When Kevin went in, gave him some milk and comforted him that was it, Rusty was off to slumberland.

Yes, the relationship between fathers and sons is a special one, Rusty is so lucky to have the best.  I really look forward to seeing their relationship develop throughout the years. 

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful. I'm so glad our boys have wonderful and very involved daddies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers