My husband really wanted to say this to me last night. He was away, downtown, enjoying the celebrations of Team Canada winning the last gold medal of the Olympic Games. I was home with the munchkin, and it was getting to be time for bed.
We always give Rusty a bath before bed, if possible. Then it's brush the teeth, pjs, read a book or two, pray and then night night! Since I was enjoying the closing ceremonies and Rusty was pretty content to just be playing in his toy room, I thought I would give him some..."freedom." I happen to think that a life stuck in a diaper 24/7 would get annoying. I often want to give little Rusty some "fresh air down there" and want to let him run free before bathtime. My husband, well, he's not on board with this. He always vetoes it, saying that he doesn't want to clean up pee, or, even worse, poo.
Since we moved into our new place and put down our laminate floors I've been thinking, "WHAT is the big deal? It's laminate! How hard would it be to clean up the mess!?" The ENTIRE upstairs is laminate...every last room except the two bathrooms and kitchen, which still have their original linoleum. I figured, why not? So, off came his clothes and when I asked him if he wanted to take off his diaper he was SO excited! He was FREE! He ran around the living room squealing "Ah ah ha ha ah ha ah!" He was SOOO happy! I smiled, saying "Bath time in a few minutes buddy!" and then I sat down to watch a bit more of the opening ceremonies. He ran to his play room and all was well, or so I thought!
A few minutes later he comes running into the living room. He points at his belly and says, "Mama, MAMA! Uh oh, UH OH!" I look over and there it is...brown smears ALL over his belly, on his hand, on his arm, and on his foot. I look and there were little poo footprints leading all the way back to...his bedroom, the ONE room in the house with an area rug in it. An adorable area rug that is brand new with roads and cars and buildings on it. I grabbed him, ran into the room, and saw it...a little pile of poo right in the middle of his area rug, in addition to the bit of pee on the floor as well. UH OH is right!
I took him and plopped him in the bathtub, showering him off while I thought about what to do. I left him sitting in the empty tub, playing with his toys while I went to the room and cleaned up the mess. The rug was still a bit of a mess, but I threw it into the hallway and went into the bathroom to give him his bath.
FINALLY, I had him bathed and dressed in his pjs, nice and clean. I had the hallway wiped down and scrubbed, and I was able to take the rug down, scrub it down with Shout, and toss it into the washing machine. I am so THANKFUL we have such a large washing machine!
I put Rusty to bed, and collapsed on the couch. I texted my husband, telling him what had happened in a brief note, and an hour later when he came in the door I could tell. He soooo wanted to say it. I hugged him, looked him right in the face, and said, "DON'T even say it!" He laughed and shook his head. The end. (I think I won't be letting little Rusty run around au naturel anytime soon!)
Monday, March 01, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago
Oh that's funny! (well probably not for you as you were cleaning up poo!) I'm sure you'll have your "I told you so" moment with Caden as well. :0 :)
ReplyDeleteThoroughly enjoyed reading this story, soooo funny!!
ReplyDeleteEmily
We are the opposite, Aaron always wants them to run free and I always follow them around just in case. Especially baby boys, they don't just pee on the floor, they aim up high at sofas and chairs... we had a few poop painting emergency clean ups too.
ReplyDeleteThat's gross and funny! I would totally let him run around naked again though - do it outside when the weather is warmer!!
ReplyDelete