I was full and happy. I had just made my big sister's famous southern mac and cheese. It is all cheesy, eggy, macaroni and cheese goodness. It is ooey, gooey, and so rich. In a word...amazing.
Once I had posted it, there were so many comments. Other family members that also have the recipe were commenting on how much they love it. People that didn't have the recipe were asking for it. It turns out everybody loves a good, homemade mac and cheese recipe!
I put up the recipe and had a lot of people looking forward to making it. My mom was writing on my little sister's wall about how they should make it on Sunday when they get together for dinner. My cousin in Wyoming was planning to make it some time this week. A friend in Iowa had copied down the recipe for future use. It looks like it's going to be mac and cheese all around! I have to laugh, it's amazing what the world of facebook will do.
Just in case you were wondering...
ADB'S SOUTHERN MAC AND CHEESE
16 oz. of elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
4 cups of EXTRA SHARP cheddar cheese
2 1/2 cups of milk
4 eggs
Salt and Pepper to taste
Butter
Put the cooked macaroni into a casserole dish. Dot it all over with butter. My sister uses a teaspoon TEN times and puts it basically all over the top of the macaroni. I used about half that and it was still amazing. Yes, this isn't what you would call a waist friendly dish, but it is SOOO good. Sprinkle pepper and a bit of salt over the macaroni. I didn't use the salt because we try not to add any extra to our food and we didn't even notice the absence. Cover the macaroni with the cheese.
Beat the eggs into the cups of milk very well. Pour the milk mixture over the macaroni soaking it completely.
Cook at 330 degrees for 30 minutes or so. When you dip a spoon into it, you want it to start to be golden brown on the top but still a little wet in the middle. If you are taking it to serve somewhere and won't be serving it immediately, take it out a couple of minutes early because it will continue to cook and it won't dry out as much.
At the end you can put the broiler on for 1-2 minutes, which makes the top a little bit crispy.
Trust me, this is GOOD mac and cheese. Rusty went wild for it! It was the first time he had eaten it, and he had two FULL bowls of it for lunch yesterday! Even my husband, who NEVER takes leftovers for lunch-he'd rather have a peanut butter sandwich every day!-took it for leftovers for lunch yesterday!
Try it out, let me know what you think!
That's funny and true! Thanks for posting the recipe, I'll give it a go this weekend!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to try this for RJ very soon!
ReplyDeleteThat's it, I'm making it tonight. :)
ReplyDelete