This weekend was totally crazy and absolutely wonderful all rolled into one. I have posted nothing about this, because it was a surprise that we were desperately trying to keep and boy did it work! This weekend I went home to South Dakota, just for a few days, for my little brother's university graduation.
My brother's fiance and I have been in cahoots about this since March. We were looking back and I got the plane ticket on March 29th, to be exact, so although we didn't have to keep the secret for too long, we did have to keep it. I can't believe we pulled it off!
Samantha and I both knew that Neil would love to have at least one of his sisters at his graduation. Since I am not working, and my oldest sister recently moved all the way from Illinois to Texas, it made the most logical sense for me to come. We planned, we schemed, and we did it.
A bit of nerves surrounded me as my hubby drove me down to the airporter shuttle that was to drive me to Seatac on Thursday morning. It was the longest I would be away from my sweet boy. I knew he would be fine, because Kevin is a super hands on dad that can do everything just as well as I can, but I was sad to think of leaving him for that amount of time. Originally Kevin had tried to convince me to go for an entire week, since we are going BACK to SD this coming weekend for Neil and Samantha's wedding, but I wasn't having it. I knew a week would be MUCH too long to be away from my sweet little munchkin. I was right. By the time yesterday rolled around, I was very ready to feel his little arms around my neck squeezing me tight again.
The plan went off without a hitch! I flew out on Thursday morning and into Omaha, where Samantha picked me up for the three hour drive back to South Dakota. Neil had been working all day, and when we arrived at the apartment, he was sleeping. Sam went in and woke him up and had to talk to him for a few minutes before she finally got him to come out into the living room. I was standing there waiting. When he walked out and saw me the look on his face was absolutely priceless. I think he thought he was still sleeping. He exclaimed, "What are you DOING here!" and then came over and gave me the tightest hug. He was so surprised and so happy! We have always been really close, and I was so happy to be there for this big day in his life.
His graduation was on Saturday, and the pride that welled up in me, well, all I can say is that I'm going to be a MESS when Rusty graduates some day! My little bro is one of my pride and joys as well, and when I saw him all dressed up in his cap and gown, ready to take on the world, it was something to behold. His fiance, Samantha was graduating as well, and something that made it extra special is that they were both graduating from the university that I attended, South Dakota State. We are all forever Jackrabbits, bonded by the yellow and blue.
I was so incredibly proud of my little brother. How grown up he seems these days! I am especially proud of where he is at in life right now. He's a university graduate, with a wonderful, godly fiance, and he has a great job, which he landed even before he graduated! I kept looking at him in that crowd of grads and I couldn't help it, my eyes teared up every single time. Then, when they called his name and he shook the president's hand, the tears actually rolled. I am so very proud of him!
It was sort of nostalgic to be back. I hadn't returned to campus for eight years, and a lot has changed. It was fun to have my little brother take me around and show me what was different about everything. One of the greatest things is sharing yet another bond with Neil. I love that we both have that Jackrabbit pride. It has been really fun to share our experiences at SDSU throughout the years...and I'm sure we will continue to share those memories. Maybe someday I will even be able to return to SDSU for a football game with my little bro and sister-in-law. Maybe Rusty will even end up going to university there sometime!
Another wonderful bonus was spending some time with my mom and dad! I was able to be with my mother on Mother's Day for the first time in years. Neither of us could remember the last time we were together on that day. I enjoyed having breakfast with her, my dad, my brother and Samantha. I was pretty sad to be away from my little guy on Mother's Day though!
Rusty did great without me. As Kev and I were driving home from the bus drop off he said, "You can go away anytime! We did great!" Of course they missed me, and the best moment was this morning. Kevin had been telling him, "Mama will be here in the morning!" When we heard Rusty calling for Daddy this morning, Kevin went in and said, "Rusty, who's here!?" and he whispered, "Mama!" Then Kevin said, "Rusty! WHO IS HERE!?" and he shouted, "MAMA!" Kevin brought him into me and he laid down on me, wrapped his little arms around my neck tightly, and just held on, squeezing it for several long minutes. Everytime I tried to sit up, he would just squeeze my neck and burrow his little head even tighter into my shoulder. Oh, how sweet.
I even woke up this morning to a beautiful bouquet of some of my favorite flowers, flowers Kevin swears Rusty remembered to buy me for Mother's Day...what thoughtful boys I have! Up next, whirlwind weekend #2. We fly out for South Dakota on Thursday for Neil and Samantha's wedding!
Monday, May 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago



Another weekend of crying and happiness, coming right up!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post, made me cry :) Happy tears!!!!
It's so great that you were able to be there for his graduation! I really enjoy visiting your site and I'm passing on an award on my site :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet surprise for your brother!! Glad you had fun.
ReplyDelete