Friday, October 19, 2012

The Best Night-Rusty Accepts Jesus!

This night, what a special night.  I am still teary-eyed.  I am still feeling my heart as totally full.  I am still just in shock and feeling full of love and joy and peace.  My son, my sweet baby, my oldest son asked Jesus to be his Savior tonight. 

We were doing our normal bedtime prayers.  We were just lying in his bed and snuggling and then went on to bedtime prayers.  We do them every night and lately they have been pretty special.  He has thanked God for his beautiful creation and gone on to list MANY MANY things that God created.  He has thanked God for friends in specific ways.  He has asked God to help people that he knows that are sick and then remembered to thank God when they get better.  Tonight?  It topped them all.  He was praying along and suddenly said, "And Jesus, I want to be your forever friend.  Amen." 

I sat there.  We had talked about this before and after asking several questions I felt that his young heart didn't really understand at those times.  One time I asked him some questions and asked if he wanted to pray and ask God to forgive his sins and be with him forever and he replied, "No because I don't want to go to heaven yet."  I knew he didn't quite get it.  Tonight was different.

I asked my first question.  "Rusty, what do you mean by that?"

"I want to go to heaven someday!" 

"Do you know that to do that you have to pray?  You have to ask Jesus to forgive your-"

"My sins!" he exclaimed.

"Yes!  That's right!  Do you know what sin IS, Rusty?"

"Yep.  It's the bad things that I do!"  he said.

"You're right.  Do you want to pray and ask Jesus to forgive your sins and be with you forever, Rusty?"

"Yes!"

Me, sniffling already, "Okay, go ahead then!"  I wanted HIM to pray it on his own, because I wanted to see what he said, what his little four year old heart and mind truly understood.

He started.  His little voice was so sweet and so sincere as he prayed.  "Dear Jesus, I want to be your forever friend.  Please forgive for my sins.  I love you, Amen."

I asked him, "Rusty, what does this mean?"

"I can go to heaven someday!" 

"Yes!  Will Jesus ever leave you?"

"No!"

"What if you sin again?"

"No!"

"What should you do if you sin again?"

"Ask Jesus to forgive me!"  That's it!  My mommy heart was SO full to bursting.  I couldn't believe it.
"Do you want to tell Daddy?" I asked him gently.

"Yes, and get Rocky too!  I want him to hear this."  Oh my sweet boy!  He was bursting to tell Daddy and Rocky what he had just done.

My heart is full.  Now, I pray.  I pray that this choice he has made as a young child will grow, bloom, and develop into a very real faith in God and relationship with Him.  I pray that it will be more than just the words of a child, but that it will grow into a life that is truly lived in service for the Lord.  I pray for God to give Kevin and I wisdom to lead him in this.  I pray for him to love God FULLY and COMPLETELY!

Thank you Lord, for this special moment with my son.  Thank you for giving me the opportunity to have this conversation with him.  We love you!


1 comment:

  1. Rusty is going to love reading this when he gets older! What a special night!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers