Wednesday, September 10, 2014

meeting baby girl...soon

Well, I'm excited!  It looks like we will be meeting our baby girl sometime in the next three weeks.  I am not one that normally can say my baby will be here by such and such a date, because I believe in letting them come when they are ready.  Rusty was 7 days past his due date and Rocky was 9 days past his.  Although the extra wait sometimes seemed long, I know that they came when they were ready and that was good.

It looks like our journey with Ruby may be a bit different...and I'm okay with it.  After Rocky was born he developed serious issues called ABO Incompatibility.  He ended up in serious condition in the NICU less than 24 hours after he was born because his blood was being attacked by antibodies that mine had created and ended up having a blood exchange, antibiotics, and a range of other treatments.  We have learned a lot more about it SINCE we went through it all and I just have to say how glad I am that I didn't know what could have happened while we were in the middle of it all.  I'm just thankful to look at my little miracle boy that is so smart and funny and kind and thank the Lord for his intervention on Rocky's behalf.  I know many of you have had babies with jaundice or had to take the Rh shots and it is tough.  It's not the same thing though...hard to explain exactly, but it is different.

Once we became pregnant with Ruby, we were referred to an excellent high risk gynaecologist here in the area that has been following our pregnancy due to our previous miscarriages as well as Rocky's issues post birth.  He did a very detailed ultrasound with us at 20 weeks and recently followed it up at 36 weeks.  The point of the 36 week ultrasound was to monitor the blood flow through Ruby's brain.  It can sometimes pre-diagnose fetal anemia before baby is born...which is the issue we dealt with for Rusty.  The results were not what we hoped.  Her numbers ranged outside of normal, which means it is likely that she is dealing with the same thing.  The GOOD news is that because we know ahead of time we can have a plan!

Once Ruby is born, her hemoglobin and bilirubin counts will immediately be monitored.  If they are elevated she will immediately be taken for intense light treatment.  Although I'm sad that she would go away from me right away, this plan of action should help treat her right away and hopefully keep her from blood exchange and an extended stay in the NICU.  I'm all for that!  If her numbers are not super elevated, she will stay with us, but they will continue to closely monitor those counts.  This plan seems great!

She does, however, need to be delivered by 40 weeks.  Our specialist feels that this is the best option. He doesn't want the fetal anemia to worsen, and neither do we!  It didn't show up on the 20 week ultrasound at all, which means it has increased since then.  Of COURSE he said these tests are never 100% and she could 100% okay when she is born, which is great, but having a plan seems wonderful to me.

As I said before, I'm not one that generally would favour the idea of induction.  I DO know, however, that there can be medically necessary reasons and it looks like we are one of them.  I'm praying that my body will go into labour on its own before 40 weeks, but if it doesn't I am okay with this plan.  I AM very excited that it looks like we will be meeting our baby girl in the next three weeks!  That is a crazy thought.

Please pray for Ruby's continued health.  Please also pray for the delivery and that it is without complications.  Also, please pray for her possible diagnosis of fetal anemia.  The experience with Rusty was so scary because it came out of nowhere.  I will never forget standing by his cot in the NICU with the doctor barking instructions, another doctor trying to explain and asking us to sign paperwork for a blood exchange, and having no idea if my little baby would be okay or not.  This time I feel a peace.  I have felt incredible peace throughout this pregnancy and that can only come from our Father in heaven!  Looking forward to meeting baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers