Saturday, January 14, 2006

Good news and a good day!

Today has been a wonderful day. Today, in a way, was a life-changing day for me. Allow me to explain. This morning I slept in, late. I woke up and stretched and then I looked toward the window. We have very dark shades in our room, so even at ten in the morning it seems quite dark. When I glanced toward the window, though, I could see a tiny sliver of light at the edge. I leapt out of bed and to the window. When I lifted the shade and looked out, there it was! THE SUN! It was back! I could hardly believe my good luck! There was the sun, shining ever so brightly, and the blue sky...oh the sky! I had almost forgotten it could be blue! I jumped back onto the bed shouting, "The sun! The sun, honey...it's back!" I ran to the window and lifted the shade allowing the light to pour into the room. Kevin covered his eyes and said, "Where are we? What's happening? What is that?" Needless to say, we were happy to see the sun.

I was to meet my friend, Nancy, for coffee. While we were sitting at Starbucks talking and enjoying the sun, we decided that we needed to enjoy the day. Nancy always cares for a young boy with Downes Syndrome on Saturdays, and I often join them for whatever activity they happen to be doing. We decided that we should take Jonathon to downtown Vancouver, grab some lunch, and eat on the beach. She went to get Jonathon, and I came home quickly.

Now...my day was already going great. It was about to get better! When I arrived home, I could see that we had mail in our mailbox. I grabbed it on my way in, and I saw that we had a letter from the Canada Department of Citizenship and Immigration. My heart began to beat very quickly and I rushed to get inside. I dropped everything except for the letter and I ripped it open. There it was! It was my letter telling me that my paperwork was almost completely progressed and I was FINALLY at the point where I could apply for an open work permit!

I have been waiting for that moment for years. I began to cry, and I had to tell someone. Kevin was gone, so I tried phoning my parents. I got their answering machine! Augh! I then got on the phone to Adrienne and finally someone answered! I blurted out my joyous news, all the while there were tears streaming down my face! I was so excited!

Well, Nancy came with Jonathon to pick me up, and when I told her the good news she screamed and grabbed me in a big hug! I don't think that Jonathon knew what to do.

It has been a long road, and although I do not have my permanent residence card yet, it is on the way. I am overjoyed. My temporary work permit was to expire on February 7th, and we weren't quite sure what we were going to do. I had been praying and trusting God. Today I had plans to go to the border and figure out what I was going to do, and then the answer came! God is good, and I am so thankful. This entire process has been very difficult, and I have definitely learned the ins and outs of immigration. I am thankful, for it has taught me to have patience and trust in God in ways that I hadn't before.

Later, as we were sitting on the beach eating great food with our faces to the sun, I thought about how much God has blessed me. I am so thankful for all that He has done in my life! Today was a day of sunshine, friends, good food, and excellent news. Today, this day, was a very good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers