What? You think it’s a bit much for us? Why? I think 18,000 square feet is the perfect starter home for a young couple! Okay, okay, so maybe we weren’t house hunting, but we did have an amazing day and we did set foot inside this beautiful mansion.Today was our fun day for our Spring Break together. I’m leaving on a jet plane in just a few short days, and sadly my hubby can’t come with me. We decided that we had to have one day filled with fun together during this Break, so we jumped in the car, hopped a ferry, and headed to Vancouver Island today.
This is something that we have been meaning to do for quite some time, but have not yet accomplished. British Columbia’s capital, Victoria, is a romantic old city on the island. I had only been there once before for a brief moment and Kevin had NEVER been there, so today was to be the day!
Our alarm clock rang at 7 a.m. to give us the chance to make it to the ferry terminal by nine. A little traffic snag caused a moment of fear, but we breezed into the parking lot at 8:50 and were able to make it onto the 9 a.m. ferry with moments to spare. We settled in for our 90 minute ride to the Island.
After our ferry docked, we quickly made our way to the bus that would take us the 60 minutes to Victoria for the bargain price of just $6 each. The bus pass would be good for the day, and we thought it was quite the deal. We lucked out and had the opportunity to ride on a double-decker bus, so we took seats on the top-level and were rewarded with an amazing view the entire 60 minutes into the downtown core. We passed through quaint little towns, drove through rolling hills, and motored by the gorgeous Island coastline. Finally, an hour later we were in Victoria.Since it was around noon by this time, we decided the first order of business should be some lunch. Being so close to the harbour gave Kevin a craving for some fish and chips, and after asking around we found a local café that we were told had the best. The locals were right! That halibut and chips was divine, and after stuffing ourselves in the quaint little floating restaurant, we made our way to our next attraction of the day, the Undersea Gardens.
After a hand-in-hand stroll along the waterside we came to the boat that was to be our entertainment for the next hour. We paid our admission and descended 15 feet below the water’s surface. At the bottom of the stairway we found ourselves in an undersea world that was previously unknown to me! We looked out the glass windows into the waters of the harbour and were delighted to see all kinds of sea life swimming around. For the next 30 minutes I listened with rapt attention as Kevin identified the various fish types and regaled me with tales of his youth spent fishing on Keats Island. At 2 p.m. we made our way to the Underwater Theatre to be entertained by Craig, the diver. Along with a narrated passage, he showed us different types of species native to our area. We saw various types of cod, salmon, eels, anemones, and even an octopus! I learned that octopi are native to this area, and the largest one on record was found just off the Victoria coast and measured 32 feet! I will think twice the next time I jump into the water at Keats Island!
After our underwater experience was over, we made our way topside and took a stroll near the Parliament buildings. I couldn’t resist a quick shot of the main building, it’s quite beautiful.
In the evening it is lit up and I’m told is a sight to behold. We then made our way down the main streets and after some inquiry, were able to find our next bus route to Craigdarroch Castle.
This castle is not really a castle, but a mansion that was built in the late 1800s by the Dunsmuir family. It was a symbol of their wealth and power, but now belongs to the public and is open daily for tours. It is 18,000 square feet of beauty and history. It has been restored to its original glory and the woodwork and furniture amazed me. The story of this family was quite incredible as well, and Kevin and I found ourselves immersed in the history of the place. Knowledgeable guides were stationed on every floor, just waiting to answer our every question. We found that we were the last ones to leave the beautiful mansion when it closed, and we probably could have spent more time soaking up the historical information found in the beautiful old home. My favourite part was the tower room at the very peak of the home. It has a breath-taking 360 degree view of Victoria, the harbour, and the Pacific Ocean beyond. We were told that the lady of the house, Mrs. Joan Dunsmuir, used to have her tea in that room; and I could see why. I think I would have spent hours up there every day!After leaving the castle, it was time to head home. We hopped the bus and made our way back to the ferry terminal, stealing kisses, holding hands, and talking the entire way. What an amazing day! As much as we love each other and show one another every day, it’s always a blessing to have these romantic getaways. Although we were tired on the ferry ride home, a day spent wandering the historic streets of Victoria holding each other’s hands was just what we needed. I’m sure that I will have sweet dreams tonight!
Sounds like fun! Just like our weekend in Chicago last summer, it was very romantic! Glad you had a good time! I'm glad Candy is coming to see you!
ReplyDeleteThat main parliament building is beautiful. It reminds me of the Palace of Versailles in Paris. Nice :)
ReplyDeleteBTW-I like the red! It's very becoming on you and it's new! I like it.
ReplyDelete