When my older sister married her husband, this was another view of in-laws for me. She quickly adapted to her new, extended family and before I knew it, they were mom and dad for her as well. I remember wondering how it would be for me. Would I be as accepted as she was? What would my future in-laws be like? Would I enjoy spending time with them?
I have to say, I am incredibly blessed. Kevin's parents have opened their arms and welcomed me as the daughter that they never had. They have three boys, and I am delighted to be their new and only daughter-so far! I love spending time with them. His parents live just five minutes away, and although some people would say, "Oh, that's way too close!" I think that it is perfect! We enjoy meeting up with them for dinner and it has been wonderful to see our relationship grow closer and closer over the last year and a half. I never honestly thought it would happen, but I now find myself calling them Mom and Dad. Although they are not my parents, it is nice to have another set of parents and I now understand how my mom and sister were both able to call their in-laws by those special names.
On Thursday night we had Mom and Dad S. over to celebrate Mom's birthday. It was such a wonderful time. I made a roast in the slow-cooker and we enjoyed good food, fun conversation, and a great game of Rook. I look forward to the many years that we have to make that bond between us even closer.
Yes, now I KNOW I am jealous, since you get to be so close to at least ONE set of parents! I think it was after about a year or so that I actually asked my "Mom" if she would mind if I just called her "Mom" and she got all teary and said "Of course not!"
ReplyDeleteIt IS great not to have horror stories about our own in-laws, isn't it?