Friday, November 17, 2006

The Purse

It's something that many guys will probably never understand about many women. Our love for handbags and shoes. I try to keep mine to a minimum. I usually won't buy a pair of shoes unless I have really thought it through and looked at about 10 other stores to make sure I have the best price and have made sure that I will be able to use them for work, church, AND everyday life. I'm not one of those girls that has a bunch of purses hanging from the back of her bedroom door. I try to keep the number low.

Almost a year ago, though, I fell in love with a purse. I know that sounds completely materialistic, but I can't help it. It's so beautiful. It's pure leather, a gorgeous medium tan color-as they describe it at the store. It has enough pockets for everything I carry, yet it's not huge. It is stylish, so chic. I usually have the cheapo $20 purses from Wal-mart that I try to make last for years and years, yet the cheap plastic or fake leather ends up wearing out after only two. I have always made do though! And without complaining. This purse, though, was something different. I saw it and thought of how much I would love to carry it, how it is timeless in its design, and how it would only get better with time. And I told Kevin about it.

This purse is from one of my favorites stores, Roots. I couldn't really condone buying it though, because it was pricey. Much pricier than we normally spend on things like that. So, I kept looking at it. Everytime I went to the mall I would go into the store, look at my purse, and tell the saleslady no when she asked if I needed to see something. I even took Kevin in there to show him the purse, just in case he ever decided maybe he wanted to surprise me with it. The months ticked by.

I showed various friends the purse over time. I would take them in the store, show them the beautiful purse and leave, content just to have seen it again. Even my sister, who lives in South Dakota, has seen the purse and knew how much I loved it!

Once, Kevin and I had a little contest. He was weighing himself one night and he said if I could guess his weight, I could have anything I wanted. I said that I would take the purse, never thinking I would get it right. He quickly agreed, knowing the odds of me guessing his weight were slim to none. I guessed it, to the tenth of a pound! Bang on! We both stared at the scale, wondering how I could have done this, and knowing that there was no way we could get the purse at that point in time. I then started cheering and jumping up and down, all the while knowing I wouldn't be getting the purse. It was, after all, just a game.

Time passed by, and yesterday, probably more than a year after I had first spotted the purse, I went into Roots yet again. My exact purse was not there, but there was a similar one of a different color. I touched the soft leather, sighed, and again walked out of the store. I had Christmas shopping to do and errands to run, for it was a free day off of school due to a power outage, and I needed to take advantage of it.

Last night, Kevin arrived home and upon entering the house yelled, "Don't come near me! Stacy, don't come near me!" He ran into the bedroom and then came into the computer room. He said, "I have a surprise for you. I bought your birthday present today. Do you want it now, or on your actual birthday?"

Well, if you know me, you know that is a silly question! Even though my birthday is over a month away, I will gladly take the present now! I didn't know what to expect. I closed my eyes and held out my hands, the anticipation causing me to shake my legs and bunch up my eyes. He put a big bag in my hands and said, "If it's not right, you can take it back and it won't hurt my feelings."

I opened my eyes, and it was a Roots shopping bag. I caught my breath...could it be, the beloved purse? It was! I screamed and jumped up and gave him a huge hug. It was the perfect one! He had gone to the very store I had been in that day, and he asked them and they found that they had one last purse of that color left. It was majorly on sale, AND he got an extra 25% off, so that was even better.

I couldn't believe it. I immediately transferred everything over to my lovely handbag. It's beautiful. The leather is so soft, the pockets fit everything from my cell phone to my umbrella to my pack of gum. I know that it's early for my birthday, but I don't care, I will get that much more use out of it. This is a timeless piece. I know that I will be using it for years to come.

I was so excited that I called two of my friends. They laughed upon hearing that I had finally received the purse. They knew how long I had waited. Today when I was talking to my sister on the phone I said, "Oh hey, I got my birthday present yesterday. Kevin bought me this purse..." She interrupted and said,

"HE BOUGHT YOU THE PURSE!" She knew, she had seen it...it's gorgeous.

So, thanks my honey bunny! I don't mean to sound superficial or materialistic. I'm not. This is beautiful. It's my birthday present and I truly love it. I will use it for years and every time I will think of how much my sweetie loves me. Yep, I'm his princess!

4 comments:

  1. Wow...that is beautiful, I have been looking for a purse too, but haven't found "the one"...my mummy said she would get me one for xmas, adn I just need to tell her which one...but it is so hard. I envy you, having found "it". And that "love" standing the test of time (a year is a long time to wait). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:56 PM

    I got a purse in Japan - my first one, and after a couple months Ryan started begging me to throw it away. It got dingy and dirty pretty quickly, because it was canvas. I eventually just got a diaper bag instead. Classy eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny but I got a bag last Christmas from Banana that looks so much like that! I guess great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are so spoiled! But you deserve it and are worth it! Glad you got a great surprise!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers