Monday, November 13, 2006

A Romantic Surprise

On Thursday night Kevin told me not to make plans for Sunday night and Monday. He said I would be busy. I knew that meant we would be doing something fun! He's good at surprises, and loves to make me happy. His dad is a sweethart too, and he added to the surprise.

Yesterday Kevin told me to be ready to go by 7 p.m. He said we would be starting with a delicious dinner, one that I would really love. I tried to think of where we might be going, but I had no idea. I always love the Keg, so I asked him if it was somewhere we had been before. At his no, I was surprised, and even more confused!

We loaded our things-Kev told me to be prepared for a night away- into the car and took off at 7. He drove towards New Westminster, and the closer we got, the more the idea began to form in my mind. We were going to the Boathouse! It is a beautiful, romantic restaurant right on the Fraser River. I have never been there, but I heard that it was wonderful with a romantic ambiance. Everything I had been told was true! As we drove up and parked our car, I got my second surprise.

Kevin began to drive down the ramp for the hotel parking. I said, "Babe, you can't go down there, it is parking for the Inn."

"Oh really?" he replied, with a grin on his face. Oh! We would be staying THERE overnight! It's a beautiful hotel, built out over the water on stilts, so that every room has a water view. I was really excited! This is where his dad came in...he had given us a gift certificate towards this night out. Thanks Dad!

Dinner was wonderful! It was the Crab Feast and oh my goodness...there aren't even words to describe how delicious that crab was! We both ordered the 1.5 pound crab feast. Out came the little pot of melted butter, the smell tantalizing our tastebuds. Finally, out came the crab! Two legs of Alaskan King Crab and Dungeness Crab. It was a taste I had never experienced before. It's a lot of work to eat fresh crab but worth it all. When I put that first bite into my mouth and it literally melted on my tongue I felt like I was in heaven! I have to admit, all I have ever had is imitation crab and I know that now, it's not quite going to cut it. I think that this Crab feast might have to become a yearly tradition for us.

After our dinner we were totally stuffed, and we made our way up to our room. It was beautiful! We had a little balcony that looked right out over the water and the lights were twinkling over the water, making it look so beautiful.


Once we had checked out our room, we decided to go to Starbucks for a late night treat. Unfortunately, it was closed! So, we made it to the next best place, Timmy's! It was so great to just sit across from the table with my husband, drinking coffee and talking about life. Whenever we have these times where we are celebrating us as a couple, he likes to ask the question "What are your highlights from the past year?" I always love that question, because it makes me think back and remember all of the great things that we have experienced over the last year, and how God has blessed us. We sat there simply talking for an hour before deciding to make our way back to our hotel to hit the hot tub!If you know me, you know I love hot tubs! Someday I would love to have my own. When we were growing up we had one in my house because my mom had arthritis, and I guess I got used to it! It was great to go home and hop in the hot tub after a long volleyball practice, it really eases the muscle pains and relaxes me for sleep. When I lived in California I had one at my apartment complex, and my roommate and I used it a lot. I love them! So, any time we get the chance to stay somewhere that has one, I always make sure to take advantage of it. This one was great! It was totally relaxing.

Today we slept in late, lounged around in hotel room, and finally made our way out. Before leaving, I had to get a shot of me on our cute little balcony.
After we left we wandered through Westminster Quay and then had brunch at our favourite place for breakfast-Dennys!

I'm so thankful for the great little getaway. I love little romantic times like this, especially when they are surprises. I'm always grateful for the chance to really reconnect on a deeper level with the love of my life, for he keeps me on track and keeps me focused on what is important in life: God, our relationship with Him, and our relationship with one another. Thanks for a great weekend love!

1 comment:

  1. Awww...I'm so jealous! A romantic surprise? Anytime your hubby wants to pass on that little tip to his brother-in-law, I'd be much obliged! That's sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers