Tonight we went out to a movie. I'm going in for minor surgery tomorrow, and I wanted a little night out with my husband. I also needed to get my mind off of some of the thoughts that were plaguing me. I was having a bit of a down night.
When we returned from the theater we saw three bouquets of flowers leaning up against our landlord's door. I suspected that maybe they were for me, because I had already received a few beautiful bouquets, but we went to check and make sure. Sure enough, my name was on them. They were huge, and gorgeous. There was one large bouquet of lilies, orchids, and other flowers I couldn't identify. It was flanked by two smaller bouquets of lilies and hydrangeas. They were simply gorgeous, and I couldn't think of who would have sent them!
We got inside and I pulled out the card. Upon reading it, I began to cry. It read "James 1 verse 12. With much love, Your Spanish 12 Class."

(Kev took my picture with the three bouquets. I didn't really even think I could smile because I was so overwhelmed by their outpouring of love, but he refused to take a picture without my grin. He thought they deserved it. Can you see the tears in my eyes? I was and still am overwhelmed by their thoughtfulness and generosity.)
My group of Spanish 12 students had gotten together, pooled their money, and ordered me these beautiful bouquets. The verse was a very special one. It reads:
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
These kids amaze me. They make my heart melt. I have been teaching them for three years now, and I have watched their faith grow in leaps and bounds. They have taught me a lot about trusting God, and I think that every one of them is a blessing and gift in my life. This just shows how amazing they truly are. I have lost a baby this weekend, but these kids, these kids fill my heart with joy. They are my kids. They bring me happiness. We share life together. They remember these amazing things, like which flower is my favorite. One time my girls were asking me if Kevin ever gets me flowers. I said, "Oh yes, they are beautiful and he always makes sure that there are lilies in them, because lilies are my favorites." Tonight the bouquets were filled with lilies, a beautiful flower of hope. God says that he dresses the lilies of the fields and cares for them. How much more must he care for us? Whenever I see them, I am reminded of that, and receiving these three bouquets of lilies from these amazing students showed me yet another example of God caring for me through those he has surrounded me with.
Yes, we have been through much together. I have mentored some of them through difficult times. We have prayed together over many things. We have laughed together many times, and on Monday when I return to work and thank them, I'm sure that we will cry together.
I can only hope and pray that the children that I DO have one day will be as special as these amazing students are. They are a blessing in my life. Words cannot express how I feel about these kids and their faith. I am in awe...thank you, my dear students. You have brought such great joy to a difficult stage in my life, simply by being who you are.
"I thank my God at every remembrance of you." Philippians 1:3
Wow...I am speechless. Do you know you have one of the greatest jobs? I mean, where could you go that you'd get such compassionate and understanding bosses, fellow teachers AND students? Wow! What a great environment to work in...I am thankful this week for your support base up there, when we can't physically be there for you, it is comforting to know they are.
ReplyDelete