Friday, June 01, 2007

Rock on.

I was driving along, winding my way down Downes Road. Suddenly, I looked in my rearview mirror and there he was. This kid. I wasn't sure at first if it was a guy or a girl. Huge Aviator sunglasses obscured the face, and a toque covered up any hair that might have wanted to creep out. The car was a little silver Golf. It wasn't driving erratically. It wasn't going too fast. But still, it captured me. So much, in fact, that I had to slow down myself because I could not take my eyes away from the sight.

This kid was rocking out. He was singing, at the top of his lungs it seemed. His head was flailing from side to side and he varied wildly from "air guitar" to "air drum." His shoulders jerked back and forth to the tune, and even though I couldn't hear his music and I was more than a car's length away from him, his joy crept up into my car. I started moving to the beat of the song in my own vehicle, and I couldn't help it, a smile just spread across my face.

As I turned in to the school, I noticed that this car was also turning in. I hoped he would park in the student lot just below my staff lot. He did. As he stepped out of his car, I noticed that it was a student that I knew, and had actually taught a few years ago.

"Nice dancing!" I called out.

"You like that? That's how I get going for the day," was his chipper reply.

"What were you listening to?" I asked, wanting a bit of that music for myself if it had the superpower ability to make someone feel that alive and awake at 7:45 a.m.!

"It was A-Ha!" he cheerily stated.

"Oh, AW! A-HA!" I replied, and we both laughed.

As we walked into the school, we both wished each other a good day and went our separate ways, yet his cheerful smile and spastic dance moves still remain with me. It made me think...why don't more of us dance to A-ha in the car? Think of how cheerful we would all be! We would smile at one another on our way into work. We would have conversations that we might not normally have. We would get some exercise while we normally would be sitting still! WE COULD BRING A SMILE TO THE FACE OF THAT PERSON IN FRONT OF US! Thanks for jamming to A-ha, M. You made my day! Rock on, man. Rock, on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers