Saturday, March 22, 2008

Am I saying what I think I'm saying?

Maybe it's me. I'm not really sure. I seem to be having a tough time communicating with those in the food service industry lately.

Last night we were waiting at the Portland Airport for our flight. We found a nice restaurant, sat down, got on the free wireless Internet, and waited to order. Finally, the waiter came and asked what we wanted. I ordered an A.B.L.T.-supposed to be an Avocado Bacon Lettuce Tomato. The avocado sounded especially good. It came with the choice of fries, mixed greens, or some other random dish. Initially, I ordered the fries, thinking that they sounded good. After some thought, however, I decided against the fries and thought maybe a salad would be better. I tried to find our waiter, but to no avail. I then found another girl and asked her if she could change my order. They weren't that busy, I didn't think it would be hard. Our waiter then came by shortly after and I said, "Hey, I changed my mind. I want to have the side salad with the sandwich instead of the fries." No problem, he said.

About 15 minutes later, out comes our food. Mine is a HUGE plate of salad...and nothing else. I wasn't there when it came, so when I returned I took it up to the bar, where our waiter was, and said that I wanted the SIDE salad WITH the sandwich. He just looked at me and said, "Oh well! We are out of bacon. You can just eat the salad." Huh? Seriously? I said that I still wanted the sandwich, and would take it without the bacon, and wanted a SIDE salad, please and thank you. I left the massive salad sitting on the bar and made my way back to my table. He came to our table about 5 minutes later and said, "I don't know WHY you left this up there if you said you wanted a SIDE salad!" What???? I said, "Well, it didn't seem like a side salad...but I will take it if you are just going to throw it out." Then he said, "Your sandwich is going to be awhile."

A bit later, out comes the sandwich, and with it is fries! What? I said, "I didn't want the fries, just the salad and sandwich." He replied, "Well, this is what HAPPENS when you don't talk to YOUR waiter and try to tell someone else what you want!" I was seeing red now, and replied, "Yes, but I did tell you, when you came by our table. I told you I wanted a side salad with my sandwich instead of the fries. I said that to you." So, after he left, I forbade Kevin to eat any of the fries. I wanted to leave a smaller than normal tip, but having been a waitress myself, just could not bring myself to do it. I couldn't believe the tone that he gave us though! I was truly very frustrated by it! It didn't help, of course, that I was exhausted. I think that always heightens things.

Then today we were at Taco Bell for lunch-I know, I promise we'll get back to real food starting tomorrow-and I ordered two chicken soft tacos. Kevin wanted to add on a soft taco too, so I told the guy, "And a regular soft taco." Our order comes and it is three beef soft tacos and Kevin's burrito. I was frustrated...I said, "Am I not communicating well lately?" Kevin said, "Well, honey, since you are pregnant, maybe you think you are saying something that you aren't." Ha! I knew what I had said, and I knew I wanted chicken soft tacos! This time I received the service that seemed right. The prepubescent young lad quickly made the tacos into chicken ones, and when I offered to pay the difference, he refused, saying "It's no problem, m'am," and smiled. Hmm...I think our waiter yesterday could learn something from this teenage boy!

Tomorrow I'll have to start cooking myself, at least then I will get what I want!

1 comment:

  1. When I was pregs, my biggest crave was avocados.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers