Monday, March 10, 2008

Belly growing...brain shrinking

I'm starting to think there's something to this "losing brain cells" thing that supposedly happens during pregnancy. I never really believed it when I heard about it. I'm a pretty capable person. I usually know what's going on, I'm confident in who I am-especially in my job, and 99% of the time I feel like I have a grip on things. Lately? Not so much. I feel like I might possibly be losing my mind. Just a little bit at a time. Is it possible that as your belly grows, your brain cells shrink? If that's true, I'm in big trouble, because my belly is still virtually indiscernable to those that "don't know" but I feel as though the brain cells are rapidly decreasing. No, you say? It's just old wives tales, you tell me? It's nothing...it's all in your head, you insist? How do you explain these:
  • The other day, I said "sex" in my grade 10 Spanish class. Yes, in front of 20 grade 10 students I said "sex." No, my brain was not even REMOTELY thinking about that. I was telling the class to do the "second set" of questions and I said "Do the second sex..." and stopped short. Of course they all heard me, laughed hard, and I laughed it off with them. In my mind, though, I was thinking "WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?"
  • Yesterday I went wedding dress shopping with a friend. I was texting my hubby in her car on the way to the store, and then switched cars and went with another friend. I didn't notice until THREE HOURS LATER that my cell phone was no longer with me. What had I done? Just laid it on the seat in her car. Luckily, my friend had the presence of mind to call my phone and my friends in the other car answered. I don't do that...I don't leave important things behind.
  • Now that I just said that, in February we went out to celebrate Valentine's Day with some friends and I left my $300 digital camera on the floor in their car. What? Yeah, I know. I am always SO meticulous with my things like that. The worst thing is, I didn't even realize it was missing until ALMOST TWO WEEKS LATER!!!
  • Kevin and I went to McDonald's for dinner one night earlier in the pregnancy. We sat down, and I put my purse beside my feet, like I always do. Later, on the way home, we were driving along and I reached for my purse to get my chapstick, and my purse wasn't there. We were almost home. I panicked! The McDonald's we had been in was NOT in the best part of town, and my purse had been at the floor of a table VERY near the door. I dropped Kevin off, hopped back in the car, and made my way to the McDonald's. Miraculously, they had sent someone out to clear the tables and such just after we left, and the employee had picked up my purse...oh yeah, my phone was in it then too!
  • My husband has now taken to asking me every time we go somewhere if I have my...camera, phone, purse, brain, etc. I can't say that I can always answer yes to his questions...it's a good thing he's with me!
  • I keep forgetting plans that I have made with friends and making other plans with other friends. Usually my mind is like a steel trap, but I can't seem to remember simple appointments. Last night Kevin asked me what I had going on this week in the evenings and I said, "Oh nothing." Today at school I was reminded-thankfully-by my calendar that we have parent teacher interviews until 8 p.m. tomorrow night! Nothing...yeah right!
  • I did it again this afternoon. I just about finalized plans with a friend for Wednesday, when I realized at the last minute that I have a hair appointment that afternoon.
  • One day in my Spanish 12 class a few weeks ago, I was explaining the preterite and imperfect verb tenses to them. I have done this MANY times...it should be ingrained in my memory. They have already learned them, it was a review, so they basically knew them. I was in the middle of a sentence when suddenly I realized the words that were coming out of my mouth, and they were ALL wrong. I stopped mid-sentence and started to say something else. As I was listening to myself, I realized it was wrong too, but couldn't stop the words. By then my students were looking at me in TOTAL confusion. Finally I stopped and started YET again, only to find that I was wrong again! I stopped, reopened my mouth, and said, "Blah blah blah, yeck!" The kids burst out laughing, I took a moment to gather myself, and we moved on.
  • Today I had the computer lab booked for two of my classes. I went to the entirely wrong lab for one class. For the other, we headed back to that same lab, only to realize my friend was teaching in there. She said, "I'm always in this lab, it should be marked off for me because my class is taught in here. Am I wrong?" I didn't know what to do, and panicked, thinking it was double booked. I went to the library to check the signout sheet and I was signed up for an entirely different lab. Ack!

Yep, I'm losing it. Does anyone else have experience with this? What are your brain cell loss stories? Please, help me to realize that I'm not alone! Is it going to get worse???

Update: I just read through this blog and realized I had made about 10 typos. This former English major, a writing lover, made 1o typos...and I'm sure there are more that I have not even noticed. Please be kind, just ignore them. Oh yeah, today in a message to my brother in law I typed your instead of you're. I HATE that mistake when other people make it. Luckily, I caught it before I sent it.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sorry to say, but I don't believe they are old wives' tales. I forget stuff now that I probably never would have forgotten B.K., before kids! Here is one of my examples: While I was pregnant with Nason, just before we moved to South Dakota, I bought a whole ROLL of stamps (about $35 at the time) and laid them on the counter in the kitchen. The next day I was in psycho cleaning mode and I just threw EVERYTHING on the counter in the trash, without, apparently, checking through the pile, I just THREW it all away! I NEVER do stuff like that, I was always very meticulous and needless to say, I didn't realize til I went to pay the bills 2 weeks later and couldn't find the $35 worth of stamps of which I had not used EVEN ONE STAMP!!!! James still gives me a hard time about it today, almost 8 years later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm sorry to say, but I don't believe they are old wives' tales. I forget stuff now that I probably never would have forgotten B.K., before kids! Here is one of my examples: While I was pregnant with Nason, just before we moved to South Dakota, I bought a whole ROLL of stamps (about $35 at the time) and laid them on the counter in the kitchen. The next day I was in psycho cleaning mode and I just threw EVERYTHING on the counter in the trash, without, apparently, checking through the pile, I just THREW it all away! I NEVER do stuff like that, I was always very meticulous and needless to say, I didn't realize til I went to pay the bills 2 weeks later and couldn't find the $35 worth of stamps of which I had not used EVEN ONE STAMP!!!! James still gives me a hard time about it today, almost 8 years later!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers