Tomorrow night I am meeting for dinner with 7 of my Spanish 12 students from last year. It's kind of strange, but really exciting at the same time. They have all been through their first year outside of the shelter that was the high school they went to, and I can't wait to talk to them.
I know that I talked about this class on my blog last year. It was unlike any group I have ever taught before, and probably will teach in the future. They went through the first miscarriage with me, in a way. I had just announced my pregnancy since I was at that "safe" stage of being through the first trimester, and a week later I was missing a week of school because of the loss, the d and c, etc. It was tough, but these kids...they made it a little better. They prayed for me, made me a homemade card, ordered me the most amazing bouquet of lilies I think I have ever seen, and were just so sensitive when I returned. We had been a close group all year. The devotion times I had with these kids were amazing...I have yet to experience something like it.
They have been up to all sorts of things since they left, but we have kept in touch. More of them would be there tomorrow night if they could, but they are off doing big things like traveling in Australia, working in Calgary, etc. I am thrilled to meet with the seven that are coming though. They have had good years! One is engaged, two went to Spain for several months, one went on a missions trip to Jamaica...the list just goes on and on.
I think one of the coolest things is going to be seeing them in their transition into adulthood. They were just on the edge last year when I said goodbye to them, and now they are blazing paths through this world. I look forward to seeing how they have changed and grown. They were already pretty incredible people when they left...I can't imagine what a year has done to them!
This is one of the most rewarding parts of being a teacher in a school like I have been in, and teaching kids for more than one year in a program like Spanish. I love having the chance to actually get to know these students, and I am thrilled that I have this opportunity to keep in touch with them. We'll see how tomorrow night goes...I'll have to be sure to snap a picture. Whta a group...I can't wait!
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!