Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Day in the Life???


So, here's my day...

7:30 a.m.

Wake up to the sound of Rusty smacking his lips...this is the sign that he wants to eat. I'm okay with this...he has just allowed me to sleep for over four hours! Amazing!

8:30 a.m.

Kev leaves for work...we are still working on feeding. I have showered though...wonderful! Since Kev can leave for work so late I have gotten a shower in each morning while he does Daddy duty.

9:30 a.m.

Begin getting Rusty ready to go. We are supposed to meet Daddy for the Terry Fox Run/Walk. I really want to do this...Rusty starts freaking out. Crying, smacking the lips...apparently he is hungry again. Huh??

10 a.m.

Still feeding Rusty...I'm supposed to be meeting Kevin now. I hope that I still can.
10:15 a.m.

We are on our way, but I can't find the location. Where is this place? Finally we find it, I get parked, I get the baby, the diaper bag, the stroller, my coffee...we get set up, but...where is Daddy?

10:20 a.m.

Here comes Daddy! Finally! Yay! Rusty is in his stroller, not crying. Daddy says, "Can I please take him out and carry him? I really want to!" I give in, because he's so great. Rusty enjoys a walk around the lake with Daddy.
11:15 a.m.

We're home, Rusty needs to be changed. He looks so cute in his little outfit. I change his diaper and he proceeds to pee all over me, all over himself, all over the change table. Outfit change number one!
11:30 a.m.

A friend comes to visit. It's great...her little boy is 9 months and toddles around the room as she snuggles with Rusty and I enjoy just relaxing. We have a great talk...she's a fantastic mom and I learn a lot from her. She also brings me an electric breast pump to try out.

12 p.m.

Feed Rusty. As I'm feeding him and reach for my Diet Coke, the can falls off of the table and spills. Luckily, there is a receiving blanket right where it falls so it soaks up the pop. That and my pants. Whew. I avoid a major change. The pants are black yoga pants...you can't really tell that they were spilled on! Then I change him after eating. He pees, again. All over everything. This time it hits the wall. Outfit change number two.
1:30-3 p.m.

SLEEP!!! Rusty falls asleep cradled on my chest under my chin. I just soak it in...I look at his face, snuggle close to him, and watch a little tv. Rest time...bliss!
3 p.m.

Rusty is hungry again! I feed him. I don't think he's taking enough from me though, because I'm SORE!!! I think it's time to try out that pump. Hopefully it will relieve some of the pressure but first, my boy needs to eat.

3:30 p.m.

Kev calls...he's coming home. He'll pick us up and then we can go and run some errands. I'm starting to feel really tired...strangely tired. More so than I have felt since the first week. Rusty finishes eating and I go to change his diaper...he pees again. All over everything, again. I've got to figure this out! Outfit change number 3. I think maybe I should just leave him in a diaper and swaddle him!!

4 p.m.

We go run errands with Kevin. At the store I start to feel like I'm going to fall asleep on my feet. We get home around 5. Kevin becomes SUPERDAD and SUPERHUSBAND!! He sends me to the bedroom to take a nap.

6:15 p.m.

I wake up. I feel refreshed. I can smell dinner cooking. I come out of the bedroom. My little boy is happy and content...he has had some great daddy time. Dinner is ready...yum, lasagna. We turn the oven down. I look at my t-shirt...oh my! For the first time, I have leaked. Yep, not only through the breast pad, but through my bra, my tank top, and my t-shirt! Oh my! Time for my outfit change!

6:30 p.m.

I set about using this great electric breast pump for the first time. It's a MIRACLE!!! I feel relief! Finally! Kevin feeds Rusty with the bottle. Great! I go to pour the milk into a storage bag. It is almost 8 ounces! Crazy! As I go to seal the bag it tips over, it begins gushing out all over me, the floor, the counter, everywhere! Oh no...the liquid gold! I rescue it in time to save about 5 ounces.

7:00 p.m.

We eat dinner...we discover that the lasagna stuck to the pan and part of the teflon coating came off on the lasagna...so, we eat the portions that are good.

7:15 p.m.

Rusty is fussy. Why? We have no idea. He is usually a pretty relaxed baby, so we don't know what to do! We try snuggling with him. We try swaying. We try rocking. We try the soother. He's not having any of it.
8:00 p.m.

Finally, he takes more from the bottle. Another whole ounce!! Hmm...he's hungry!

And now? I'm not sure what the night will bring. Our little one seems fussier than normal...we may be in for a long night. This is my normal now. I have in one day had pee, breast milk, and Diet Coke spilled on me. I have had poo on my hand. I have not officially done my hair for a week. I am currently sitting in sweats...the official "I give up" wardrobe. Despite all of that, I love it. It's this incredible journey, and I really feel like I was made to do this. I love my little boy so much. He's a gift! We adore him. Every day I learn something, and I find that I really can do this. I can figure out what my son needs, and try to get it for him. Sometimes it is a snuggle, sometimes it is more food. But no matter what it is, we can do it!
I also ADORE my big boy, my hubby. I had no idea he would be such a great dad. He's so patient with Rusty, and so good with him. He comes home from work and snuggles with him, talks to him, helps me with him. He is better at the diaper changes than me...I don't think he has been peed on for a long time. He gives me breaks...tonight it was like it was his mission to take care of me...send me to bed and get everything going while I'm asleep. Yesterday morning as he was hugging me good morning he said, "You need to go to the spa. Next week I want you to go to the spa and have some Stacy time, you deserve it." He's constantly telling me what a great mom I am and how good I am doing. We still have our prayer time together every night. We still have great conversations. I'm so thankful that in the midst of being parents we are still a couple first. I love him so much!

9 comments:

  1. One night last week, I took care of 5 bili babies (babies with high bilirubin spending some quality time under the lights) and each and every one of them decided to shower me while I did their midnight diaper changes. Lovely, isn't it? I always say that kid pee is fine, no problem...compared to adult pee. That's terrible, isn't it? :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The peeing stops eventually. I used to remove my boy's diaper in stages, only removing the old diaper from his pee pee area, to switch it out with the new one. Or I would put a wipe on his pee pee, anything to deflect the stream if it started. He doesn't do the peeing anymore...it must have been a shock reaction. Funnily enough, our guy used to poop everytime we changed him...the pediatrician said it was just a coincidence, but it was everytime! So I am sure it was his reaction to the cold air.
    I had to laugh about the hair thing: the first time I blow dried my hair again (after the 1st time at the hospital) was when the baby was almost 3 months old, for his baptism...yeah...I do not want to turn into what Oprah calls a Schlumpa Dinka, but man, sometimes it is hard to resist.

    And 8oz? I have never managed to pump that much...I celebrate when I make it to 5oz, but most of the time it's like 2-3 oz.

    Sounds like you are having great days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:14 PM

    You could also use a small washcloth to cover his pee-pee until you get the full change done. Great advice from a Sister-in-law. Daniel would shot poo at the nurses in NICU during changes.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. didnt soilling the milk make you want to cry!!!I have it easy when it comes to pumping and i still feel like crying if i loss 1oz

    ReplyDelete
  5. All those things that no one every told you about motherhood! The leaking is lovely, huh??? Ha ha. You sound like you are doing great! I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:43 PM

    I agree with leaving a wipe or the dry diaper over the penis until ready to fasten the new diaper!
    Noah got me and Jose quite a few times-- good stories to tell Rusty some day about himself!!

    I love reading your blog. I need to start one!

    Enjoy every minute-- it goes by fast :)

    Love,
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  7. You haven't done your hair in a week and you are in sweats? Congratulations, you have officially entered into MOTHERHOOD! =) Welcome, little sister! I know soon you will be stylin' and people will look at you and wonder how you can manage to look so good with a baby and stuff! =) And yes, I too, have felt the tears start when milk is ruined or dumped...that is a lot of effort! I won't offer diaper changing ideas unless you want them, but have fun with that! They are right though, it won't last long. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:16 PM

    You sound like you are doing such a great job as a mother. I am so proud of you. I wish we lived closer so that I could enjoy this time a little more with you, but I do enjoy reading your blog and catching up in that way. I miss you.
    Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girl!! You need a pee-pee teepee!! http://www.bebabean.com/products/pptp.aspx

    Glad you hear you're loving your baby and new life!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers