This journey of motherhood is not always easy, I have to admit. Rusty is a great baby...it's not his fault, but sometimes I wonder if I'm doing a good job.
First of all, there's the feeding. I have a good problem, in that I produce way too much milk. I know, I know...a lot of other people say they have this problem, but I can sit down and pump on ONE side and get 6-8 ounces, from one side. Therefore, when Rusty first starts to feed the milk comes gushing in and he coughs and sputters and takes in air. This then causes him to have bad gas. I have tried everything. I have fed him lying on my side, I have burped him frequently throughout the feeds, I have hand expressed some...all to no avail. Now, I know that it is better to have this problem than the problem of not enough milk, but it's been tough. I keep trying to make it work, but I think that today I finally threw in the towel. I'm going to just pump and feed him from the bottle. In some ways, this makes me really sad. I love having his little body snuggled up to me. I love the convenience of always having the milk "ready to go." However, it's just not working. He is so uncomfortable all of the time. Plus, he's getting too much of the "foremilk," which is the first bit and makes them gassy. Bottle feeding will give him a better mix.
I know, I know...he's still getting breastmilk, but in some ways I feel like I have failed. I tried to make it work. I tried going off of dairy for a week, thinking maybe that was the problem but no. I'm ready to try this and hopefully this will do the trick. I do know that he seems to feed better from the bottle. He sucks it down! There is none of the on and off again routine that we have had with him feeding from the breast. He seems to get the milk better. I just hope my supply keeps up and that he is okay. I like that he will still be getting the breastmilk, just in a different manner. Oh, the conflicting emotions.
I also wonder about sleeping. He's a good baby, he goes to sleep at night in a couple of hour stretches, but lately has started waking up at 4 for a feeding and not going back to sleep. It's not because he is crying, but just so uncomfortable that he can't lie down in his bassinet. If I am able to hold him upright in the recliner he sleeps, but that is the only way. I don't want to create a situation where he is dependent on me holding him to sleep, but I don't think that is the case because he sleeps fine with the last and middle feedings of the night, just not the early morning one. Again, I feel like a failure.
Then, there is naps. I KnOW that he needs sleep during the day but the kid doesn't nap! He is so alert...so many people have commented on this, what an alert baby he is, but he has a hard time with naps. Instead of napping for an hour or two, he will take just a half hour or maybe forty-five minute nap. I don't know what to do about this. The only way to get him to sleep longer is again, to hold him. I don't want to deprive him of much needed sleep by not doing that, but again, it's a double edged sword.
He's a happy baby. He flirts, smiles, coos...he's so social. He always wants to know what is going on around him and is so alert. He only really cries when he is REALLY hungry, but I know that he's not as happy as he could be.
Don't worry, I'm not depressed or anything, I just feel like maybe I'm not doing things quite right. There are so many different methods, so much advice, and I'm such a keener. I was always a good student. I read a lot. I can read something and remember it forever...this is maybe doing me poorly in this situation. I have read so many different theories and methods, that I don't know what to do! I feel lost and confused. I just want to do what's best for Rusty...hopefully he is doing well in spite of me.
He seems to be a content, well-fed, and pretty well adjusted baby...I just hope he's getting everything he needs. I just love him so much. This motherhood thing is tough. I'm glad that Rusty has such a great DAD. Kevin is amazing with him, and so helpful to me. That is one of the benefits of this bottle thing. Kevin can do a few feedings, which gives me a little bit of a break from time to time. We'll see how things go...I just know this, I love Rusty more than I thought possible.
Friday, October 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago
Rusty has such a great mom too! You are so caring.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking about the breast feeding: obviously you don't want him to have too much hind milk either, but perhaps for one feeding a day (maybe his last feeding before going to bed at night), you could pump one side partially, and then let him finish the rest (of course, only if it doesn't gush at this point).
You are doing so well, and I am glad to hear that Rusty is so well-adjusted!
hey stacy
ReplyDeleteYou're doing a great job as a mom!
you're having a lot of similar issues that we had with Pixie those first couple months-it does pass ;
the only other thing we tried that worked was probiotic drops.-called BioGaia
cant wait to see rusty again
Stacy,
ReplyDeleteYou are doing amazing. You will receive a lot of advise, some wanted and some not wanted! You are the Mom and know your baby best. I think I cried for two weeks as Daniel was in NICU about what I did wrong that he was early. He is also such a fussy baby that I take it personal as the Mom but sometimes Ed can just do better with him. It is great that Kevin can help. You are doing great and some day Rusty is going to say "I love You" for all your hard work and love. I am glad you wrote this blog as I have felt this way too.
Take care of yourself.
Amanda
I think you would be abnormal if you didn't second-guess yourself a lot, especially as a new mom. Don't worry about it. You are certainly not doing him any harm that is lasting by holding him, but maybe there is a way you could slightly prop the bassinet up? That way he would maybe be able to sleep easier. There should be a safe way to do this, maybe removing the wheels and just using towels to provide a slight, but safe incline?
ReplyDeleteI was also going to suggest something similar to what Cali girl said with maybe one feeding a day you could pump a few ounces from each side and then let him finish and see if he still has the same problem? Of course, if you move to all bottle the rest of the time, he might not want to take the breast anymore. =( There's drawbacks and positives to every choice you make in that instance.
You are doing fine, and he's not going to remember any of this! You won't remember most of it either, until you are giving advice to someone and you will remember slight little bits and what you did to try to make things go more smoothly for him and you. You will remember those moments you let him sleep on your chest, and seeing him laying in his daddy's arms, etc.
Ah, the trials of breastfeeding. Yah a bottle can't replace the brest-bond, but you do what you gotta do! Please don't feel like a failure if you end up having to bottle feed. You are NOT a failure, you are just doing what you think is best for your baby. Easier said than done...
ReplyDeleteAnd BioGaia is AWESOME!! Poor Nate was fussy ALL the time because of his belly and this fixed it within 2 days! Miracle. Sold at London Drugs in the pharmacy dept.
Stacy, all of us moms wonder whether we're failing half the time. It kind of comes with the whole parenting package I think. It's a hard thing to be sure of yourself all the time. You just wait until your little one starts misbehavin'! :)
ReplyDeleteI think the bottle idea is a great one - he's still getting the breastmilk, and now both of you get to snuggle and feed him. That was a really special thing for Ryan when we started doing that with our first.
I second what "little a" said about not harming him by holding him. Touch is essential to baby's growth, so if your Rusty is letting you know that he needs it, don't feel bad about giving it to him!
You're doing such a great job, Stacy. It's a learning curve at the beginning. Actually, it's still a learning curve years later.... hmm. All the best!