It is in Montana, which is where he lived, but not too far from where my parents live in South Dakota. We immediately started looking for plane tickets.
The first thought was that JUST I would go and it would be a quick trip. From what we could see the cheapest option was for me to fly into Minneapolis, my brother would pick me up, I would ride home with him and his fiance, we would go to the funeral, and then I would fly out of Rapid City and through Vegas a few days later. Kev had done research and this seemed to be one of the cheapest options.
As I relayed this information to my family back home, I heard SOME disappointment that Rusty would not be coming with me. Kevin was thinking about it, and he felt the same way. He felt that if we were going to spend the money for me to go, I might as well take Rusty along AND make it a longer trip to really take advantage of the chance to see my family, and for them to see Rusty. We started talking and looking.
My brother, Neil, and his fiance, Samantha, are coming up here to visit US on January 9th. We wondered...what if Rusty and I could get on their SAME flights and come with them? That would make it easier all the way around! I would have their help with Rusty on the flights, Kev would only have to make one trip to Seattle to pick us up, and it would be nice to fly with them!
We started checking into it, and found a great deal on a ticket flying into MN on December 27th, and then we found that we COULD get onto their flights and for another GREAT deal on the way back January 9th! SWEET! We called to confirm with my family and it was set...so we thought.
Kevin was online, buying the tickets for the first section of the trip, got to the checkout and suddenly got a message saying "due to high volume the price of this ticket has changed" and it kicked him back to the start, where the price was $210 more for ONE WAY! And that was the CHEAPEST option! There was another option that was $300 more! We tried other options and finally quit for the night.
The next day I was receiving advice that perhaps I could get a discount for the bereavement rate. I called the airline, and they were very unhelpful. I explained the situation and that we were READY to purchase the ticket when it kicked us back. I explained my inability to understand the fact that there were STILL seats on that flight that had been sold for the cheaper price, yet they were now so much more! HOW? She said there was no way for her to manipulate the prices. Ugh.
So then I was sad, really upset, actually. I guess I had it in my head that I was going to be there for Grandpa's funeral, which was actually really important to me, but now we couldn't really justify paying that much more for the tickets. The earlier price had been really reasonable, and it was my birthday present from my hubby. (Originally we were going away for a weekend, but hey, a trip home works too!) Now we were stuck.
That's where my amazing family comes in. Suddenly, my dad was looking for tickets, my brother was looking for tickets, Kevin was looking. The phone lines were firing back and forth...they were going to get me there SOMEhow! My mom even offered to help me pay for part of my flight! So sweet!
Finally Kevin decided that I was going to go. We decided to go ahead and purchase the flight coming back with Neil and Samantha, because there were only three seats left and it was still the great rate. We bought it, and I was excited...I was going home!
I called my cousin, Vanessa, to tell her I was coming home. She was really excited, and I relayed to her the troubles we were having finding the first part of the trip for a good deal. She said, "Well, what if you could fly into Denver? I could come and get you if that was cheaper." WHAT????!??? SHE IS AMAZING! I asked her if she was serious, because Denver is a six hour drive from home, and she said yes. Kevin looked and we found a ticket from Seattle to Denver for CHEAPER THAN THE ORIGINAL TICKET WE HAD LOOKED AT! WOW! So, we booked it, and RUSTY and I are going HOME!
In the end this is the best option all the way around! I will only have one flight on my own with Rusty, and since he will be on my lap, that is a GOOD thing. I plan to take some kids' DVDs for him to watch and LOTS of snacks and books! Every time he has flown he has done great, but he is a different kid now than he was this summer!
It is also good because if we had flown into Minneapolis we would have had to have my brother take time off of work to pick us up and then we would have driven three more hours to his home. Then the next day would have been another six hour drive! This way we will have one short flight, and then a six hour drive home, but it's all in one day! We will be home by the night of the 27th! I will be home for my birthday on the 28th!
On the 7th we will ride with my OTHER cousin back to my brother's college town and stay over night with them and then fly back to Seattle with them on the 9th. WOW, see what I mean about my great family?
It's going to be a crazy adventure for Rusty and I, but I am so thankful. I'm so thankful to be there to honor my grandpa, I may even be doing a reading at the service. I'm excited that I get to spend my birthday with my family. My little sister is even going to make me my favorite kind of cake-FUNFETTI!!!! I will get to have a day catching up with my dear friend, Lacy J. I will be able to be at my niece's first birthday party! Rusty will get so much Grandpa and Grandma time, which will be really special for them.
I'm thankful for my family. I'm thankful for my amazing husband, who made this possible by giving up a weekend away with me so I could be there for this. I'm thankful that he is willing to spend 13 days away from us so we can see and be with my family. I'm thankful that I will get to snuggle and kiss my sweet niece! I'm excited to talk to my little sis face to face. I'm glad I will be able to support my mom on a tough day for her. I will even get to see the latest addition to the Brunner family, who is supposed to be born this weekend!!! I will EVEN get to see one of my dearest friends from university, Nicole, whom I have not seen in 8 years! CRAZY!
It's a sad occasion to be going home, but a good thing as well. SOUTH DAKOTA, HERE WE COME!!!
Me, my little niece, and Rusty on January 1st last year...I'll have to take another pic like this when I am home on January 1st to show the difference!!
Sad for a funeral, happy to be with your family. That's how a lot of stuff is I think, sad and happy at the same time. Despite the funeral, I know you will have an absolutely wonderful time. I'm happy for you! This was an amazing post, it made me cry. Happy and sad tears :)
ReplyDelete