Thursday, June 17, 2010

Lessons Learned as a TOC

Today was my last day working as a TOC-teacher on call.  This year of working as a substitute has been really interesting.  There have been a few things I have learned, not only about teaching, but also about myself as a teacher and a person.

1.  I like having my own classroom.  I like the respect that comes with that.  I like that my students know me, they know what I expect, they know what they can/can't get away with.  They realized what my biggest pet peeve-talking when I am giving instructions-is.  They realize that although I start out tough, I will become more relaxed and if they are on task, I don't mind a little chatter.  As a TOC, it is tough to establish this respect.  Sometimes I was only in a classroom once, and those kids knew it.  They don't care who I am, they just try to do what they want.  I have those teacher tricks up my sleeve and have perfected the look of death-also known as the you'd better stop what you are doing or there are going to be serious consequences look.  Yet sometimes it is still tough to establish that respect that I have always taken for granted in my normal, every day classroom.

2.  I love following my lesson plan.  One thing I have learned?  I am DETAIL ORIENTED!  Maybe the typed up lesson plans with details to the extreme used to bother TOCs that I called in, but as a TOC I appreciated those types of lesson plans.  My worst nightmares were the days I would get there and simply see a stack of books on the desk, or even worse, nothing at all.  What kind of teacher does that?  I don't care if my TOC gets completely through my detailed lesson plan, but I leave it so that their day is not terrible and full of endless voids.  The seasoned teacher in me knew that was never really a problem, I could always come up with something and I really can create a lesson on the spot, but man, if I would have been a first year teacher fresh out of practicum some of the jobs I filled in on might have truly frightened me!

3.  I'm a darn good teacher.  Seriously.  Being a TOC taught me that to the extreme.  I'm not trying to brag, but I do know what I'm doing and I can go into any classroom-even a physics one, eek!-and get through the lesson.  I know how to relate to kids.  I have the skills to get them to do the work and to even maybe laugh while doing it!  I think this year has been good for me.  Going back to full time teaching next year I am heading in with that knowledge that this really is the job for me, and I am thankful that I took the steps so many years ago into this profession.  I really crave this job, and I love it.

4.  I'm tougher than I used to be.  Maybe it's the fact that I'm a mom now, but I don't take the lip, the excuses, etc.  I never really did, but my tolerance for it is shorter than it used to be.  Perhaps it is because my time is so much more precious these days and I don't want to waste it hearing the excuse about how the printer ran out of ink-for the FIFTH time shocker!  It always seems to do that the night before a big project is due!!  I also think that my "BS" meter is a bit stronger than it used to be.  I admit it, I could be a bit of a softie, but I feel like I now have a stronger ability to see through the crap and realize when a student is being real with me. 

5.  Although I am a bit tougher, I still am a bit of a softie too, in the ways that it matters.  The kids know that I care about them and that I will take the time to talk to them about what is going on in life, not just in our class.  I want to hear how their dance recital went.  I want to know about why they are so upset today when normally they aren't.  I want to hear about why today is a quiet day.  Their lives matter to me.  A lot. 

6.  As much as it can be time consuming, I LOVE beginning a unit, planning it out, creating the assessments, seeing them come to fruition, and simply watching students learn.  As a TOC that has been one of the most frustrating things for me.  I see students in the beginning, middle, or end of a project or assignment and never really see what their final result is.  I never get to see that lightbulb.  I never have the chance to see them actually get it.  I can't wait to have that chance again.  It can be tough to do all of that planning, but it is oh so rewarding to see the results of my hard work.  I really love when students become excited about Shakespeare, something they were dreading before the unit started.  I can't wait to see the shy student break out of his/her mold and actually attempt to portray the part in whatever play we are reading.  I look forward to creating fun and interesting assignments to assess my students' learning. 

7.  One of my favorite things still remains the connections with students.  TOCing at one particular school showed me that.  It's actually the school that I will be working at full time next year, and I was there a lot this year.  I got to make some good connections with students and it has been really great to be in there these last few weeks and have them come up to me in the hallways, excited that I will be a regular teacher there.  I look forward to hearing what is going on with them, and to being there for them.  I was so touched today to have a few of the students I was subbing for actually give me thank you cards for being a great sub and being consistent for them this year!  It's going to be a great place to work, and one of my favorite things, student connections, will be in full force again.

8.  I really long for organization.  Some teachers don't mind having a bit of a chaotic classroom, but those were the classrooms that stressed me out this year.  I like knowing where all of my stuff is.  I like having a lesson plan not just for the day, but for the week.  Yes, I can easily change it at the last minute, but knowing what is going on two days from now is pretty helpful to me.  I like knowing that I can find a pen, paperclip, or staples when I need them.  I love knowing where to put marked work for students to collect.  I'm organized...I can't help it.  It's just who I am!

I really do look forward to heading in this summer and setting up my own class.  I can't wait to have my students walk into my class next year and start building those trust steps with them.  I look forward to laughing over lunch with my staff in the staff room.  I even look forward to hashing things out in a staff meeting!  Teaching is one of my loves, I can't wait to try it again!

2 comments:

  1. You know, it's funny what you said about being tougher now. I find I'm tougher when I'm with other kids too. I find that I snap quicker and let them know immediately if they're doing something that's unacceptable. I always used to be too cautious to do that, or too soft, like you said you are. Funny what parenting brings out in us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's truly wonderful that you have a passion about your chosen career. I love it! I'm still not certain what I want to be when I 'grow up.' My mom knew what she wanted to be since she was 12 years old. She's still doing it and loving it (Librarian). I'm envious of her!

    I've never heard it called TOC before. I've always just heard supply teacher or substitute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers