We are incredibly blessed. We have many amazing friends in our lives that we laugh with, cry with, and just share life with. Sometimes, though, I can't help but stop and think about particular people that God has put into our lives that simply make them better.
I met him when I was just six months old. I don't really remember the meeting, but apparently we were fast friends and became expert troublemakers. We boogied around on the farm finding all sorts of things to get ourselves into. In one day alone we dug around in the corn and played in the bucket of ashes...equaling a two bath day. As we grew older, we became each others' champions. I was at all of his baseball games and enjoyed cheering him on in his high school sports. We hung out, had fun, and just were...best friends in a way I guess. My cousin, Matt, was truly my very best friend, even though I didn't really know it at the time.
In eighth grade along came a girl that changed it all. Her name was Vanessa. She had lived in the town near us before, and once we hit middle school the two towns combined for school. I heard a lot about her before she moved, and maybe I felt threatened. She was gorgeous, sweet, and able to make friends easily. I don't know why, but the girls that knew her from before tried to turn me on her before we even met. I was intimidated before I ever knew her. How silly was that? Vanessa was to become my lifelong best friend, but yet again, I didn't know it at the time.
Strangely, Matt and Vanessa started dating the end of grade 8. It became official at our grade 8 grad party, held in the barn at my house. (Yes, we were REALLY happening people!) I don't know for sure how they stayed together that first summer, since I'm pretty sure they didn't see much of each other, but from then on, they were never apart. Grade 8 was a long time ago...1994 to be exact, meaning Matt and Vanessa have now been together for 16 years! Wow...it's crazy to see it that way.
Throughout high school, we were always together. They were nice enough to let me be a part of them, and those were the times that we were building those threads that would tie us together forever. There is just something about those friends that have known you for life...they know EVERYTHING, truly everything about you, and love you just the same. That is Matt and Vanessa for me. Vanessa and I had many good times throughout those four years, and also some fights to rival the best of them! I remember one in particular, and all of our friends were worried, but we knew...we were even closer than sisters. No silly fight could keep us apart.
I have a million memories with the three of us. Once we went our separate ways to university, I hoped we would stay as close as always. The absolute joy I felt when Matt proposed filled me up. I loved standing with them at their wedding and singing and just seeing them becoming one in our and God's eyes.
Matt and Vanessa...to me those two names go together like salt and pepper, or bread and butter, or...any other famous pairs you can think of. They just fit. They have gone on to have two amazing children, and a third on the way. Although they live far away, they hold incredible importance in our lives...they are still some of our best friends. As time has passed, our families have connected in a way I never could have dreamed and they have become, well, those people. Those people that everyone hopes to have in their lives. The ones that you can count on, no matter what the distance. The ones that you want to go to when things are going really wrong and really right. They are the ones that we can have fun with on a grand adventure or simply sitting around yapping our mouths. They just are the ones. They are our lifelong friend matches, they are our family, they are the best of both worlds.
Matt and Kevin clicked right away. Could be the sports aspect, could be the fact that they are just the same kind of guy. Calm, collected, friendly, solid, full of faith...how could they not connect? Their little family has brought incredible joy to our lives and I have particularly loved seeing Kevin's love for them grow to match my own.
Their kids, Sunshine and Squishy, are the best. They are sweet, loving, cuter than words can express, and best friends with each other. They also LOVE Rusty. Those three have so much fun together. Today we were Skyping with them and I swear, the minute Rusty saw Sunshine he started laughing. They are like built in babysitters! When we are with them, Rusty is happy. It's that simple. They have endless energy to play with him and keep him entertained while we sit and enjoy conversation with Matt and Vanessa. The kids have already had some fun times together...I can't wait for more in the future!
Matt and Vanessa are incredible parents. They have patience, they are consistent, they simply amaze us. Whenever I am stuck dealing with something with Rusty, I ask myself, "What would Matt and Vanessa do in this situation!?" There have been many times that the thought above gave me the extra measure of patience that I needed to get through and to stay strong and consistent. I always know that I can ask them anything about parenting and they will be honest and truthful with us. Their parenting style seems to be really similar to ours, and it has been so wonderful to have someone that we mesh with in that way that has gone on before us and can give us their wisdom! They are humble about it, but we know the truth...they are amazing parents. That is one of the reasons I can't wait for them to have their baby! If anyone should have more kids, these two are prime candidates! Not only are their kids gorgeous and sweet, but they are simply kind and generous, a true gift to be around.
Last summer they hopped in the car and brought the family up to spend a little over a week with us. Our families meshed like they had always belonged together. If ever I was to share a house with someone, it would be them! We simply worked well together. Sunshine and Squishy still talk about their trip to Canada, and wish to come back. They are certainly welcome anytime!
Kevin and I are really looking forward to heading back to South Dakota this summer to see my family, and time with this special family is one of the reasons. We are planning an adventure of some sort, and as always, I know it will be full of laughter, relaxation, and absolute fun.
They are those people for us. They are the people that we will always have a future with, with whom our lives will always be entangled. We have those threads that have connected us, from the time Matt was born until now. I'm thankful to have those people in my life...they make it so much sweeter.
Wednesday, June 09, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago




You are so blessed to still keep in touch with wonderful pals! Love the picture of the kids in the basket!
ReplyDeleteHow awesome to have such beautiful wonderful friends. I'm happy for you and jealous all at the same time!!
ReplyDeleteThat last picture of you and your cousins in the baseball hats reminds me of the picture I have of you and I sitting on your couch in your dorm room and you have a baseball hat on and a very similar goofy look on your face...fun times!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool story!
ReplyDelete