Because I know that Rusty will someday thank me profusely for writing up his potty training adventures for all of the Internet to see, I have decided to chronicle it here. I'm terrible at writing stuff in his baby book and figure that some day the child can come and read the blog to find out all about his childhood and a bunch of other stuff. Why wouldn't he want potty training to be included in there?
It's been...well...I'm not ready to quit. That's good, right?? Actually, it's been better than I thought (knock on wood, cross my fingers, throw salt over my shoulder and everything else you can do for good luck.) I didn't really know what to expect and we are only two days in, but hey, there has been progress!
So, day one. Yesterday morning I was just about beside myself. I had already wiped pee off of the floor six times and it wasn't even 9 a.m. We had determined to just stay home for a few days and get him used to peeing on the potty and to easily be able to clean up his messes. I have never ever ever been so thankful for my laminate flooring as I was yesterday. Of course I have only lived here for about six months, but still. Laminate is wonderful when potty training! Back to day one. The boy just wasn't getting it. I had the timer set to take him to the potty every fifteen minutes but he kept peeing on the floor and I was like, what the heck, what do I do now? Is this NORMAL? Why won't he at least try the potty! If he could just hit it one time I bet he would understand better! Kev was off at work teaching summer school and I was so very, very, very ready for him to get home, if just to simply allow me to take a shower and brush my teeth! The thought going through my head was that perhaps we had tried this wayyyy to soon. However, Rusty was a willing participant. He sat on the potty when I asked him to and finally, FINALLY right before Kev got home from work he did it! He started to pee and ran to his potty and finished there. I was soooooo excited! I cheered and danced and high fived him and we ran to his potty chart and put up a sticker and he got his prize of a chip. (I know, I know...most people say m & ms or marshmellows but what can I say, my kid doesn't like sweets! Chips are his special treat, it works.) Kev walked in shortly after and we told him and he showed appropriate cheering. It made me feel better...well, that and my message from my cousin saying things were going ok.
Thankfully I had a day at the spa booked, a much needed massage and pedicure. I happily left the potty training boy with Kev and went off for several hours of alone time. I came home with blissed out toes, relaxed muscles, and a new feeling of optimism.
I also came armed with a potty seat. You know the kind. They go on top of your big toilet so the child can sit there. Who would have thought, but it did the trick! The monkey wanted the BIG potty. He yelled that to Daddy and Kev took him off and SUCCESS!!! YAY! TWO MORE TIMES BEFORE BED!!!
Today has been even better. He started the day on the potty and although he has had a few accidents-about three in the house and one outside-he has hit the potty 8 times!!! Yahoo! The best is the times he yells POTTY and we run and he goes. Some of the times have been me taking him to the potty about every 30 minutes and him going in those time ranges but I think he is starting to understand! If he starts to have an accident and we say STOP he does! And usually makes it to the potty.
I'm not naive...I know there will continue to be accidents, but I am happy to see some progress. Check out the potty training monkey. You gotta love it. He actually asked for the magazine when he was on the toilet, we didn't pose that. What a character! Sorry son, someday you will read this and cringe, but I love you and I'm thankful to have such a funny little monkey to potty train!
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!