How do you get through a rough day? You know the kind. You wake up, wishing you could simply roll over and go back to sleep. You dream about those days gone by when you would sleep in until 10 on a Saturday morning until your mom FINALLY roused you from bed, pushing you out into the living room, where maybe you plopped down on the couch to watch some Saturday morning TV. Okay, so maybe that wasn't ever really my Saturdays. If I wasn't off at a volleyball tournament or something, my mom was attempting to rouse me from my bed much earlier than 10 by banging around in the kitchen. It always amazed me the amount of noise one woman could make at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning! I digress, you know what I mean. We can all think of those days when we awake, whenever our bodies feel like it, fully rested and ready to tackle whatever may remain of the day.
Today was not one of those days for me. I know, I know. I just wrote a lovely, long post about how my life is filled to overflowing right now, and it still is, but man I am TIRED. Last night I woke up three times to go to the bathroom. Yes, that is three. No, I did not overindulge in a pot of tea, or a big bottle of water right before bed. It is simply called being pregnant. The waking to pee alone I could handle, it is that combined with the other things.
I love my husband. You know that. Usually I write long, flowy posts that are a gushy, mushy and full of kind words for him. I definitely still feel that way but last night I was thinking I should have taken the man up on his offer to sleep in our guest room. It was almost as though he had a premonition, a faint inkling, of how very much he would be snoring. He's not a constant snorer. Some nights he doesn't snore at all. Last night? Not one of those nights. I feel bad when I shove him in the shoulder continuously, trying to get him to roll over or shift his breathing somehow. I know that interrupts his sleep, but isn't it also interrupting mine? At one point I thought about sending him down to the guestroom. If I had done that though, he wouldn't have been there at about 4:45 a.m. when I needed his help.
What did I need his help with, you ask? Well, at that time we heard crying out for "MOMMY!!!" from the recesses of Rusty's room. He is usually a good sleeper these days, so hearing him at that time meant something was likely to be wrong. I went in-taking care NOT to turn on the light-and lifted him up to find my hands and my side wet. Yep, that's right. He had peed. THROUGH EVERYTHING. He is in a diaper at night and I have had this happen two nights in the last few nights. I'm not sure if he isn't getting enough water during the day and is chugging it at night, but we haven't seen a huge difference. I go in, though, to find he has soaked through his entire diaper, through his pajamas, and his sheet and mattress cover are soaking wet as well. Yikes! Last night I managed to get him completely changed in the dark and then I took him in to Kevin, who held him in bed while I changed his sheets. I finally got him back into bed just after five, and I then dropped into my bed too.
Well, five a.m. must be too close to my wake up time, because despite being EXHAUSTED I couldn't fall asleep. I was just drifting off when I heard Rusty squawking at his normal wake up time of 6:30, AND the day had begun. Oy.
So, this leads to my question, how do YOU get through a day like that? The day when your entire body aches, your eyes keep wanting to drift shut and that couch that you have in your classroom for student reading purposes suddenly looks like the most amazing bed?
My normal go to would be a venti Starbucks, perhaps with more than the normal shots, but that isn't really that good for Pickle. I might break down and get a half caf tall latte next block when I take my students there for a Writing 12 project, but I can't go for the Venti quadruple shot.
After waking up I thought perhaps my best option was to try to look decent. You know, take a nice hot shower, choose an outfit that makes me feel good, actually do my hair. Then sleep took over. I stayed in bed later than normal this morning, after getting Rusty going with a Dora video. I can still hear him, but I can sort of psuedo sleep as well. I did hit the shower and it woke me up a bit, but rather than fixing my hair up nice and putting on the dress and boots I had planned, I went for the UBER comfy maternity pants and a top loaned by a friend. The top at least has sparklies on it...that has to count for something.
So, here I am, hoping to make it through the day. I started the day with prep and actually managed to get a lot of work done...along with this blog. So tell me, how do YOU get through a day like this??
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago

I feel you on this. Finn woke us up in the middle of the night and Dave and I laid there awake for another hour after that. I was lucky to pull some clean clothes on from the laundry basket and made it to his swim lessons on time. Now I'm going to let you in on my cure... a nap, which is where I am headed right now!
ReplyDeleteOh man. I know those days!! But I don't have to get up and get to work! Just take one of the girls to school and go about the business of the million and a half errands mixed with work tasks that need doing during the day. Sometimes I just end up putting the kids in their rooms for a quiet rest time and fall headfirst onto the couch for 1/2 an hour. I'm not a coffee drinker (waaaah - I love coffee but it affects me way too much to justify having it often!) so I don't have that. A quick walk always works to get me feeling better!! Nothing like a little fresh air and exercise. :) Hope tomorrow is better.
ReplyDeleteGood grief, I'm sorry you're feeling so tired!! I hope you get a good sleep tonight!
ReplyDeleteI get through those days the same as I get through days every day (the sick pregnancy days). I watch the clock constantly. It doesn't really help but I can't stop my eyes from watching the hands tick sloooooowwwwly.
I'm no help at all!
God, Prayer, Family, Friends, Roommates, and sometimes a little Chocolate :)
ReplyDeleteYou poor thing. Have you tried ear plugs? I know it hurts my husband that I have to use them, but some days the snoring is just too loud :)
ReplyDelete