I spoke a few days ago about a tradition that we always had surrounding Christmas as I grew up. My mom filled our stockings to overflowing and we opened one present each day many days in advance. The gifts weren't always large, but we loved it anyway. Remembering how much I enjoyed that, I decided to start the same tradition in my own way with Rusty. We are doing the 12 Days of Christmas, stocking style.
I went shopping for 12 different gifts, wrapped them up, and stuffed his stocking full. They aren't even all in there, because it's too small to fit them. We started with the first gift last Monday, the 13th. The 12 Days for us are the 12 days leading up to Christmas day. I don't think he needs a stocking gift to open on that day, since he will probably be in present overload!
He seems to be enjoying it so far, with one little exception. Here they are, the first SIX days of Christmas!
Day One-We rigged this one. I had bought him a book about Christmas, and we knew he would love to read it in the days approaching Christmas day. He has quickly memorized all of the pictures and what they stand for.
Day Two-I gave him a Dora sticker pack. It has a little book that the stickers can be put into and another one where you can stick the stickers in scenes and remove them. This is good because it came with a handy little case that carries everything and we have put the other stickers he has accumulated in there as well! As you can see from his face, he LOVES it!
Day Three-Christmas socks! He loves socks, especially unique socks. His little Elmo socks have been worn so much that he has a hole in them, and I figured he would like these reindeer socks. We were right...he was pretty pleased to get socks!
Day Four-Here was the one little snafu! I'm not sure if he was just grouchy or what, but when he opened the new pajamas we had bought for him at Old Navy he flipped out, dropped them on the ground, and said, "I don't want them!" Well, this led to a nice little lesson in appreciation, a timeout that lasted almost fifteen minutes, and finally, him saying "Thank you" and accepting the pajamas. We simply put them away for a few days and when we got them out two nights ago for him to wear he said, "MY NEW JAMMIES!!" and jumped up and down. I guess he likes them after all!
Day Five and Six-We had to combine these two days. I was away until late on the evening of day five, so Kev waited and just put Rusty to bed. We had him open two the next night, which worked fine since they were both finger paints. That night he was extremely thrilled to make a big mess with the paints after dinner. I loved watching him be creative and it made me think that taking him to one of those Pottery to Paint places would be a lot of fun!
I'll post the last six days once they are over. He has several more fun gifts in store and we have really enjoyed this. He always-except for one night!-says thank you and seems happy with the gifts! I look forward to doing this again in the future! It's a fun family tradition for us.
Sunday, December 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!