Well, tomorrow starts a new chapter. Up until now we have had Rusty still in full time daycare. We knew we wanted to have some time for me to adjust to having Rocky at home and for Rusty to adjust to it as well. Looking back, it was definitely the right decision for us. I know there are people that would disagree, but I'm not heading into this "mom of two boys" thing feeling exhausted and overwhelmed...well, maybe a little tired but hey, that's life with a baby, right? I feel like I have a handle on Rocky and his schedule, Rocky and Rusty have established a good relationship, and I feel like I can make a plan for the days. I know that not everyone gets this opportunity, nor would they want it, but for us, it was the right choice.
Rusty loves his school. When I drop him off he gives me a super quick kiss-most days-and runs off saying, "I'm ready to see my friends!" He does fun activities there every day. Art, going to the park, circle time, and many other events, every day. I will be lucky to fit in one of those things each day, I think. It will be an adjustment for him and for me, I know, but I am really looking forward to it!
Rusty has grown up so much lately. He is helpful and sweet. The other day we were doing a bunch of yard work and he woke up from his nap and wanted to help. He pulled on my gardening gloves and helped Kev pick up all of the piles of clippings and such...and was actually helping. When did he get so big? He is a great help with Rocky too. He will run and grab that diaper I need, or try to make Rocky laugh when he is crying, or any other number of things. He is also so funny. On Sunday we got home from church and just sat out on the lawn on a blanket and listened to him talk...we could have stayed out there all day.
So, I'm excited to have this Rusty home with me on a more regular basis! I'm not naive enough to believe that it will be all sunshine and there won't be days where I feel totally exhausted and overwhelmed. Mostly I am worried about being the kind of mom for Rusty that I need to be while still keeping Rocky happy. I want to give 110% to both of them all of the time, but sometimes one will have to wait while I help the other. Just this morning I was getting Rusty ready to take him to school and he had a meltdown. We had to do the whole time out and explanation and everything. In the background, poor Rocky was just crying. I already had him strapped into his car seat, it was naptime for him, and he was not happy. I had to deal with Rusty though...it was very important that I followed through on what we were talking about. Rocky was fine, Rusty was fine, and we made it out the door, eventually.
I can do this, and I am excited to do it. It's going to be a challenge, but hey, so many moms do it right from the start. I have some fun events planned for us, I'm stocking up on and looking for ideas of fun things that a 2 1/2 year old boy might like to do at home-any ideas??? Leave em in the comment section! I just got him a big pack of Mega Blocks with my pampers points and we plan to spend A LOT of time outside in the awesome backyard and at the park. I also hope to head to the dollar store to stock up on art supplies, etc. My hope is to plan at least ONE fun thing each morning so it doesn't just turn into "Hey buddy, yes you CAN watch Dora."
If you want to meet up for a playdate, again, leave a message! I already have planned a trip to a local village museum with a friend as well as heading down to Stanley Park with his uncle when he is visiting from England. We will have my cousins coming and creating all kinds of fun the last bit of June and my parents are here the first week of July...we will still be looking for adventures though!
I can do it! I can't wait!
Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our Life
Good Reads
-
-
Summertime Sweets4 weeks ago
-
-
-
R3 says8 years ago
-
-
-
-
Welcome Back!13 years ago
-
-
A Milestone Celebration11 years ago
-
Plum Cake6 days ago
-
-
Catching the Good.11 years ago

I'm usually free most mornings for play dates!!! Darn the distance!
ReplyDeleteI have play doh, painting, chalk, pipe cleaners - those are all fun crafty type things. I don't have any ideas for fun places to go because we have different places. But Rain likes to go on nature walks and he really enjoys public transportation - hey, if you're feeling brave!
OOOhh, make forts!
ReplyDeleteYou and Kev are such awesome parents! You can definitely do it!
ReplyDelete