Friday, June 03, 2011

Rocky, why do you elude sleep so?

Well, he's done it.  Our great, sleep through the night and often take great naps little boy has hit the "four month sleep regression" stage that many babies hit...and I am tired.  He has lately decided that sleeping through the night is for the birds...I knew it was too good to last!  He is up, often.  The first stretch is good, about five hours, but it usually starts at 7 p.m.  I don't go to bed then, there is still too much left to do!  After that he wakes about every hour and a half to two hours until 7 in the morning, when he is up for good.  His naps are still pretty decent, although his morning nap has shortened up a bit.

I'm not quite sure where we go from here.  I don't remember this with Rusty, but maybe it is because he wasn't really a great sleeper from the start and I didn't notice the difference, or perhaps I am just more tired this time around because there are two kids, we are busier as a family, and so forth.  It's not terrible.  I also have an amazing husband that gets up with both boys in the morning and keeps them relatively quiet in the front room so I can get one hour of uninterrupted sleep before he heads off to work each day.  Between that and coffee I'm usually good to go for the day.  I'm just hoping to get Rocky back to the place where he is again sleeping more.  He loves to sleep...when he does have more solid sleep he is such a happier boy, although I can't really complain...he's pretty happy anyway.

I wonder what I will be saying in a few months.  The other day I was telling Kev that in a few months we would probably barely remember this stage.  One thing that I do love???  I am soooo less stressed about this than I would have been with Rusty.  I'm not wondering if I am a terrible mother or if I am doing something wrong.  I had one night the other night that I was feeling a bit down on myself, but between Kevin and my wonderful Nessa I was soon being reminded of what a great mother I am and how wonderful our boys are and that they both believe that much of it is because of how I am with the boys.  Thanks guys!

On the whole, I definitely do look forward to more sleep some day...but if you asked me if I would trade more sleep and fast forward Rocky to being about 8 or 9 months old when that will probably be consistent I would say "Absolutely not, no way, I'm not trading in a single day.   Not.A.Single.One."  I don't know if Rocky is my last baby, and I intend to cherish every last moment.  Keeping that in mind makes the rocking him to sleep, the precious moments in the middle of the night, the warm snuggles all worth it.

2 comments:

  1. It is crazy how you miss it! I rarely need to comfort one of my kids at night now and I just hold them tight and enjoy it when it does happen. My f-i-l says he loved it when his kids were sick because they needed him more and snuggled more. I still think that's crazy but I do get it now.
    He is a pretty cute little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only consistent thing regarding sleep schedules is that they are always changing. Right now my boys are both sleeping wonderfully. HOWEVER, it won't last so I have to enjoy it while I can. And yes, we've got to treasure those cuddly moments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your words mean a lot to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Life

Followers